Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha well i know im a younngin but just wanted to share my first experience with driving my dads truck, its a 2002 6 speed manual transmission diesel, well it all started when my dad was filling up gas then he said he had to go and use the restroom and then i said i do too(but no bathrooms) so i walk behind this small building and took my time, then came back to the truck and dad was waiting and said, how do you feel, i replied great! then he says" well your going to learn to drive right now". did i get nervous then jumped in the seat and told me press in the clutch and let off slowly..then it starts rolling, and then i (i think) i pressed the brake without the clutch and the truck shut off then he said start her up again, then i press in the clutch and brake and start her back up then he told me to drive over the cattle guards to the road and i shifted it to only second gear but its a first! baby steps!. thought id share my excitement!:ford:

some pics right before the drive sorry crappy phone pics.

·
<< Very Soon
342 Posts
I remember the first time I learned to drive stick, an old f100 on an unused runway. I must have went up and down that runway a 1000 plus time before I got it right.... LOL that was in 1991

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember the first time I learned to drive stick, an old f100 on an unused runway. I must have went up and down that runway a 1000 plus time before I got it right.... LOL that was in 1991
nice! the road i was driving on had two cattle guards and it was a straightaway onto the high way barley no cars were coming so when i went the road was empty :)

·
<< Very Soon
342 Posts
nice! the road i was driving on had two cattle guards and it was a straightaway onto the high way barley no cars were coming so when i went the road was empty :)
Good deal, word of advice just take your time and don't allow yourself to get flustered... another helpful hint is to just let the clutch out until it grabs, do that a few time so you get an idea of were the trans engages.. then after practicing that ad just a "lil" go pedal ....... then it's all down hill from there!! LOL

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha thanks !! ill take that advice!! funny first vehicle i jump in its a standard haha!

·
<< Very Soon
342 Posts
It's the best to learn in though!!

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes! because even my father said, if you can drive this you can drive mostly anything i just have to get used to playing with the clutch and stick

·
<< Very Soon
342 Posts
Just a matter of coordination of the arm and foot, once you master that VIOLA!! Makes me wish I had a hand shaker again

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha im starting to like hand-shakers, and first time i touched the brake and gas damn did i touch it lil too hard haha didn't know the little pedal was so touchy o_O

·
Registered
947 Posts
Haha, Congrats dude, Where the old man take you?, You should go blast up Mana rd or something like that.. 4x4 action is good learning, Get a feel for the brakes and pedal real quick ;)

and No doubt best thing to learn on a manual, you want to know how to Drive.. not kick back and talk on your cell phone..

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
how old are you?
When I still had my permit, my dad took me out in our '74 Subaru (ugliest car you've ever seen) with a 4 speed and was gonna teach me how to drive. He has me start in a big empty parking lot explains how to get moving, I was nervous to kill it so I revved it up to like 2500 rpms while letting the clutch out ------ and ------ he yelled at me saying i'm gonna blow it up :blah: made me start over but with no gas at all- just clutch,(this car had MAYBE 100 ft lbs) 20 mins later I finally got the car rolling without the gas. I thought we were going to ruin the starter:doh:. I was pissed at him at the time but did learn the art of using the clutch and could do it with just about any car after that. I've since had a lot of sticks-still like driving 'em if I don't have traffic to deal with.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Thats pretty sweet, learning on a stick is the only way to go, that way you actually get a connection to the machine (vehicle) that your operating instead of just being a steering wheel holder.

First time I drove a stick I think I was about 10 and it was a suzuki samari with a 5-speed, I could barely reach the pedals or see over the dash, but we were out in the middle of no where. Dad had to grab the next gears a bunch of times cause I would just let them wind out. He would reach over and just jam it quick into 2nd.

Drove a 10wheeler dump truck for the first time when I was around 14, just on a small road job hauling dirt from the back to the front, never got over 15mph but I would start in low and get up to 3rd, loved those few weeks of work. Nothing is better than floating gears, using the clutch to start and then just make it all sync up through your right foot and click up to the next one.

Reading all this makes me want a stick even more.

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes i agree!! and no i do not have my license or my permit YET haha but just getting the hang of shifting gears and playing with the clutch im only a sophomore in High School and im 15 at the moment 16 in October, i just cant wait to get the hang of this instead of driving an auto.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts