Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my 97 OBS that I bought in California and recently moved to Montana. With winter fast approaching I need some info on what I should do to the truck for the winter. My truck does have a block heater and insulation around the batteries. I think that I might need a different thermosat, because my truck hardly ever gets to the N on the temp gauge. Maybe a 203.

If you have any suggestions could you provide a link to the product.

I have only found one place that sells a grille cover.

Thanks, John

·
Davey B
930 Posts
My temp gauge doesn't even get to the N on normal, but it really throes the heat out.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
At least a Glow plug relay, if not the whole deal like Rob said. Ide bet money if you have the stock GPR it will go out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whats the best indication that of needing new GP's and relay? My WTS light stays on for about 15 seconds. Today it took a slight tap of the pedal and a few extra cranks and it was only 42 out when I started it. This was starting on straight D2 also, not WATF as in my signature.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Whats the best indication that of needing new GP's and relay? My WTS light stays on for about 15 seconds. Today it took a slight tap of the pedal and a few extra cranks and it was only 42 out when I started it. This was starting on straight D2 also, not WATF as in my signature.

The gps stay on for about 2 mins, you may need atleast a relay or both depending on how old they are.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The WTS light is just a dummy light. I'd personally just replace the glow plugs and relay. It's called preventative maintenance or upkeep.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The WTS light is just a dummy light. I'd personally just replace the glow plugs and relay. It's called preventative maintenance or upkeep.
Gotcha. I think I may do that. The previous owner said they had one GP replaced last winter, but that was the only one since 96 and after 89K miles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think i'm in the same boat....Only in the 50's in the am, and its been cranking alot more and pretty smokey on start up.....These look like good kits......How are these prices?

Glow Plug Kits - 7.3L Powerstroke

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about a grill cover? I have only found one and the pic on the site doesnt even show the right front end.

·
Registered
433 Posts
for oil i'd switch to syn. 5w-40w. for the winter months, some people run year round.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are they motorcraft ZD-11? Is that a stancor relay? If not then that deal is not worth it.
Get the GPR and glow plugs from complete performance and never look back. My truck has been colder then yours ever will be and has never let me down once i put the stancor relay and did the plugs.

Great guys to deal with!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Stancor relay for sure is a must, for reliable starts along with good glow plugs. For emergency only I keep a can of starter fluid in the truck.

Make sure battery posts are clean and as noted above 5-40w is a good idea for easier starts.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I live in Northern IN almost MI and I just make sure my glowplugs and relay are good. Plug the truck in if its going to be sitting for more than 3-4 hours. I got an OBS RCLB and I just dump a bucketload of snow in the bed and she drives like a dream

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
Instead of shelling out the extra bucks , get a western plow realy... Does the same job. And ONLY get ZD-11s for glowplugs..
Where's that dead horse smilie at?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I think i'm in the same boat....Only in the 50's in the am, and its been cranking alot more and pretty smokey on start up.....These look like good kits......How are these prices?

Glow Plug Kits - 7.3L Powerstroke

Well their extra special kit costs almost the same as ours and we are running better products.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Do you recommend replacing the valve cover gasket while I am in there? Anything else to check while under the covers? I will be calling CP sometime next week to order my GP kit

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
You can check the plugs but they are reusable.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
2 things no one is suggesting, check & make sure you have good batteries & a good starter. Had my starter go out in the start of a snow storm. By the time I got to the parts store & got back to the truck it dumped 3" of wet snow & I had to install it & drive 30 miles home on the highway in a blizzard in 4x4. I knew it was getting bad for awhile but i kept neglecting it. :doh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts