Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 6.0. No modifications. Smokes upon start up and gets worse upon acceleration. It smokes it is blue grey. No codes. Misses all the time. You can unplugged every cylinder and it changes except #4. No change. Injector#4 has been changed. Rocker arms are good. Didn't see any chafing on the harness. Any help is so greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
With the limited amount of info provided, I'm inclined to think you might have a crack in your head. I would do a bubble test. If you are unfamiliar, it's where you take off the top to your secondary fuel filter, make sure it is filled with fuel, and using a wire which runs along the passenger side fender you crank the engine with the key off. Another possible way to check is to have a fuel pressure gauge and watch it once the fuel pump shuts off. It should come down slowly. A quick drop indicates a leak somewhere.....could be external, could be a seal on an injector, or could be a crack. Your problem could be a lot of things, but this is what immediately comes to mind. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people will see this soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the limited amount of info provided, I'm inclined to think you might have a crack in your head. I would do a bubble test. If you are unfamiliar, it's where you take off the top to your secondary fuel filter, make sure it is filled with fuel, and using a wire which runs along the passenger side fender you crank the engine with the key off. Another possible way to check is to have a fuel pressure gauge and watch it once the fuel pump shuts off. It should come down slowly. A quick drop indicates a leak somewhere.....could be external, could be a seal on an injector, or could be a crack. Your problem could be a lot of things, but this is what immediately comes to mind. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people will see this soon.
Performed the bubble test, no bubbles seen. I took a test light to the injector connector, it didn't have what it should according to the wiring diagram and compared to the other injectors.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Sorry for the delay getting back here. Any progress? Do you have a way to pull codes or run a cylinder contribution test?

Ideally, in your situation, it would be great to have some known good parts to swap out. I don't suppose you have access to some good spares, or even a truck which can temporarily "loan" a part over? I'm not a fan of test lights....all they do is indicate there's enough voltage to light the bulb, and if it's AC or DC (if you're good). If you can use a meter, that is best. Anyway, if you're correct and the #4 injector isn't getting the proper signal, I'd want to swap out the FICM to see if that's the problem. I would also check the injector wiring harness while the FICM is out to make sure there aren't any breaks or shorts.

This still feels like an unburnt/excess fuel situation....like a leaky injector seal is allowing fuel to seep into the cylinder, or the turbo is stuck and can't give enough boost for a clean burn....that kind of thing. I've yet to see (though it doesn't mean it's not possible) a 6.0 give off excess smoke/haze when a cylinder is down. It will run like crap, but generally no smoke....though I suppose it's possible in trying to compensate for the lack of the cylinder, the amount of fuel being given to the other cylinders is a bit excessive and causing smoke. Hmmm. Yeah, I'd pull codes with a good code reader and try swapping a FICM if you have one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay getting back here. Any progress? Do you have a way to pull codes or run a cylinder contribution test?

Ideally, in your situation, it would be great to have some known good parts to swap out. I don't suppose you have access to some good spares, or even a truck which can temporarily "loan" a part over? I'm not a fan of test lights....all they do is indicate there's enough voltage to light the bulb, and if it's AC or DC (if you're good). If you can use a meter, that is best. Anyway, if you're correct and the #4 injector isn't getting the proper signal, I'd want to swap out the FICM to see if that's the problem. I would also check the injector wiring harness while the FICM is out to make sure there aren't any breaks or shorts.

This still feels like an unburnt/excess fuel situation....like a leaky injector seal is allowing fuel to seep into the cylinder, or the turbo is stuck and can't give enough boost for a clean burn....that kind of thing. I've yet to see (though it doesn't mean it's not possible) a 6.0 give off excess smoke/haze when a cylinder is down. It will run like crap, but generally no smoke....though I suppose it's possible in trying to compensate for the lack of the cylinder, the amount of fuel being given to the other cylinders is a bit excessive and causing smoke. Hmmm. Yeah, I'd pull codes with a good code reader and try swapping a FICM if you have one.
No codes, i can't run a contribution test. Replaced the injector, swapped with a known good FICM. Going to pull the valve cover, didn't think to look at the rocker arms while i was there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything looks good under the valve cover. Like before. You can unplug each injector and there is a very noticable difference. Except #4. No change at all

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I don't remember....has that injector been swapped out with a known good one or a new one?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Any updates? I've been in the morgue for a while and just got out.....caught some damn flu bug that wasn't fun!

After re-reading everything, I'm really scratching my head. I'm now wondering if there is a compression problem on #4. Can you run a compression test? If not, maybe a leak down test? If it were my truck, I might also check continuity on the injector harness between injector connector and the FICM connector....and wiggle the crap out of it while doing so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts