Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've stalked the forum here for a while now gathering knowledge and information from time to time for about a year and a half. I bought an 03 F350 6.0 CCLB SRW in Jul/Aug of 12. No major problems just a few minor cosmetic things that need to be addressed which is to be expected in a truck that's over 11 years old. I would like to eventually bulletproof it but as with most things gotta get the $$ first. Well I'm deployed right now so hopefully when I get back home I'll have enough saved up or have already ordered the parts and have them waiting for me.

First off is to catch up on past due maintenance. Plus I have to figure out what's squealing or causing the belt to squeal. I replaced the belt a week before I had to leave and less than a month later it is squealing again, thinking it might be because I was cheap and didn't replace the tensioner while I was in there so gonna try swapping it out and making sure the belt is nice and aligned. On the list of maintenance stuff is swap out the fuel filters, flush the transmission and change the filters, change/flush diff fluid in front and rear, flush brake fluid, and grease the chassis. Probably end up changing ball joints and greasing the accessible bearings in the wheels and replacing the o-rings for the esof, just depends on the shape they are in when I get home to check them. And of course changing the oil, it shouldnt have very many miles on it but gonna change it to be safe.

After all the routine maintenance stuff I'm thinking about doing an egr delete and rebuilding the oil cooler. I don't have gauges to verify if its bad or not but figure if I'm in there then why not. Since the top of the engine will be apart I will clean the turbo and possibly go ahead and stud the heads. Gonna have to convince the wife into letting me do that though. I will also perform a coolant flush before tearing into the cooler and use Ford head gaskets. Still looking into info on coolers, the doorman one is a good price but a lot of people recommend OEM. Seems the doorman just comes with inferior gaskets so get OEM gaskets and use the dorman cooler? On second thought, maybe I'll just get gauges first to see how I am sitting before diving into the engine.

Also looking into getting a leveling kit and adjustable track bar. I would like to get it onto some 35x12.5s but the tires can wait till I need to replace the ones that are on my truck now.

So far that is the ideas for when I get home. Most of it depends on whether I will be able to reenlist upon returning home or if the AF decides to put me on the chopping block. If you have any input for stuff I may have left out then let me know.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
are you sure its the belt squealing and not the bearing in one of the pulleys or the water pump? They can squeal pretty loud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be a pulley or the water pump but I won't be able to check that until I get back to the states. If its doing like it was when I replaced the belt then I doubt it is any of those, the squeal was constant no matter what speed the engine was at. After replacement the squeal had stopped so I'm guessing the tensioner may need to be replaced, seems like the new belt was a little longer.

Edit: Sorry just realized I mixed up two different things. The constant squeal was from the esof hubs not wanting to disengage properly. The squeal from the belt was from getting contaminated with oil.

·
Registered
93 Posts
first, thanks for your service to our Country...I'd stick with an OE EGR cooler, the new ones have been updated and are durable...you cant rebuild the egr cooler so replace that as well...probably needs both as old coolant tends to clog narrow pasages in oil cooler..I'd reccommend OE because they meet emission specs if there's ever gonna be diesel emission testing...and i wouldn't want to replace them again! BTW, OE parts have a two year unlimited mile warranty that no one can match! Biggest thing is to assure cooling sysyem is clean...perhaps consider a coolant filter...clogged oil cooler is biggest reason egr/oil coolers fail...don't use anything but OE on the fuel and oil filters as well...good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Tony and 7.3Cip. I'm looking at some gauges before diving into the engine so I can get a better idea of what's going on in it. For all I know I could have a newer oil cooler in it already. I don't really want to just go throwing money at it if its not necessary. For gauges I'm thinking ECT, EOT, PYRO, and maybe boost. I don't tow with it for now so I'm not as concerned with the trans temp yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts