Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 94 7.3l with a turbo that has 86,000 miles on it. I used to have a 89 7.3l in highschool and college and loved that truck. This is my first diesel with a turbo. I was wandering what would be the first and easiest mods to do that would be getting more out of the engine. I know that a new Down Pipe and turning up the pump will help along with a new exhaust. I am mainly using it for pulling a travel trailer so not needing tons of power but reliability is a must. Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You can always adjust the wastegate on the turbo. I'm under the assumption that the turbo is the stock ATS turbo that came on the truck. Those turbos can push a lil past 20psi but start heating up the air a sh*t ton after about 15psi. Also studs are always good and you could always upgrade the turbo if you have some fabrication skills or know someone who does. Then you could also upgrade the fuel system too. Dps sells pretty good injection pumps and injector upgrades and they can also be used with the stock turbo too. You could add a Powerstroke intercooler also. Intercoolers are always good to have when towing cus they will help keep your egts down. There is also always water/methanol injection or propane injection on top of that. They will also aid in more power also. Anything above that and you have to start tearing into the engine itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It is the stock turbo as far as I can tell I wasn't sure what the stock turbo was capable of but glad to know now. I am looking for an intercooler to put on I think that will help a lot. Do you have to get a new intake hat where the turbo blows in or can you just turn it and put a hose fitting on it? My granddad has a NA diesel in a pickup that I plan on getting out and building up for when this motor goes down. Hopefully I have several years before I need to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Oh something else I forgot to mention, you definitely need the dp upgrade and exhaust for sure but I forgot to also tell you that turbine housing on the turbo is horribly restrictive also. Ats used to sell the turbine housing upgrade along with the dp upgrade but they don't make it anymore. You might be able to find it used but idk. Also a guy named Typ4 here and over at OB does a good compressor upgrade that would allow for more boost if you ever need it to. That is also a decent upgrade to go on these inefficient turbos. And if and when you do your build, keep us posted. Builds are always good to see. You also might be interested in the two engine builds that are going on here. Check out NMB2 and RacinNdrummin's thread. They are built for pretty good power, especially NMB2s. NMB2 has a few videos up to watch so you can see how it runs too. It sounds sick as hell!

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
The usual mods are good (intake, exhaust, pump adj, etc) but to get any real power out of it, your going to need studs, that's the first "real" mod to a turbo engine should be studs, overtorqued.

·
Bandwagon Jumper
293 Posts
I personally am a big fan of High Flow Air Filters (K&N) and Less restrictive exhaust *cough* Straight Pipe *cough* and then you can always increase the timing a little.
Something that will help it is to delete the stock mechanical fuel pump and mount an electric on the firewall on a toggle. This will help by keeping a ready supply of fuel for the injection pump rather than the mechanical pump.

Just my .02... I have had good results from these.

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
DO NOT USE K&N!!!! They are not good for TURBO diesel apps.

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
that may be the difference but with the history of k&n i would not take the risk with my truck but thats just me.

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
it can get pretty bad LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts