Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

First ID Tuned 6.7!?

22K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  buck russell 
#1 ·
For the last six to eight months, I've been talking to Eric @ Innovative Diesel about tunes for the 6.7. I'm a really antsy person and usually have mods sitting in my basement before I've even purchased the vehicle -- that should give you some perspective. When I initially spoke to Eric, he told me it wouldn't be too long until he'd have some tunes released. Well, it took longer than expected for various reasons -- mostly fine tuning, tweaking and working with SCT.

Last week I ordered the S&B intake from ID and Eric told me they were going to have them out within the next week. Last night I noticed on their web page that they'd released the tune and I called first thing this morning. Turns out that SCT had delayed the shipment yet again but they were supposed to receive them today. Well, Jamie called me this afternoon and told me I could come down and pick up my tuner. It was the moment that I had been waiting for, for what seemed like an eternity.

After my short little road trip down to ID, I met Jamie and Ted. They were extremely helpful in answering my questions as well as filling me in on a few details about the tunes. Due to my inability to be patient for anything, I loaded the tune in the parking lot of ID - it didn't take more than 10 minutes to do the whole thing. Due to the extremely wet weather we've had here, I chose to run it on 'street' as opposed to 'performance'.

My initial impressions...

Drive-ability is second to none. The truck starts, idles and drives like stock. Seeing as that this is my daily driver, I didn't want to have any issues with drive-ability. The trans tuning is flawless and its smoother than stock. The truck pulls hard and just keeps pulling. After talking to Eric about drive-ability, he told me that the 6.7's are built well and that I had nothing to worry about. The gas mileage has improved even though all these tunes are DPF-ON. This is something that impressed me as I've been a bit disappointed as of late because my gas mileage was in the crapper. I do mostly city driving and put on about 25k miles a year, just to give you a bit of perspective on how much I drive the truck. Overall, the truck has only gotten better. The tunes are smooth and tweaked perfectly -- you wouldn't even know it was tuned, it's that smooth. Couldn't be happier with the customer service from Eric and the team at ID. Great guys to deal with and look forward to giving them more business in the future.

See less See more
#4 ·
At the moment, Eric has decided to not release any DPF off tunes due to the liability and the ongoing EPA debacle regarding emissions control devices.

These trucks are making great power with the DPF on and from what I heard directly from Eric, the 6.7 on the performance tune makes 438/1011. That's really not bad for a truck that still has the DPF intact. While I was very excited to remove the DPF, I'm completely comfortable with leaving it on so long as the truck makes adequate power -- which it does.

The one point which Eric raised was that dealers will not only look for the tune via their OBD equipment but also just simply by looking at the hardware which connects the DPF to the other parts of the exhaust system. If the hardware looks marred or damaged, they'll draw the conclusion that you've tampered with the DPF. I've fought with dealers before over blown turbos due to chip tuning and I'm done fighting those battles. That's another reason why I'm happy with the DPF on tune, it's just one less bullet for the dealership to use should problems arise.

#10 ·
anytime guys! good meeting y'all on Tuesday! I'll be picking up the torq2 in the near future!

If that works, can I borrow your address when I place my order LOL
I'll split shipping with you... LOL

Just to add to this, I took out Shop truck 2011 ScLb up there and got a best of 17mpg on the way up with some traffic and crusing at about 65-70 and after putting it on the performance tune averaged about 19-20 with a little more traffic and still cruising at 65-70, its about a 60 mile drive, def felt alot stronger and smoother, Thanks Eric!
I was seeing around 19mpg on the way home with the truck in 'street' mode. I'll be trying it in 'performance' mode today on the way up to NJ.

I really hadn't a chance to push it because the macadam has been so damp, but last night I found a nice dry area to really stand on it. Holy #### does it move. :eek:

#8 ·
Just to add to this, I took out Shop truck 2011 ScLb up there and got a best of 17mpg on the way up with some traffic and crusing at about 65-70 and after putting it on the performance tune averaged about 19-20 with a little more traffic and still cruising at 65-70, its about a 60 mile drive, def felt alot stronger and smoother, Thanks Eric!

#9 ·
I have the 6.4l and got an sct 5 tune deal and my mileage went from 10-11 in town to 14-15 in town and I just went to missouri and got 19.5 at 80 mph. My truck will smoke those 35 inch nitto trail grapplers is have, ill be interested in the 6.7 if they do a dpf delete!

#12 ·
hey how much? and how much of a signature is left in my computer to remove my warranty? thankx...

#13 ·
Purchase Here!

The price is 649 + Shipping [if you click above, it's a direct link]. From what I've heard/read and learned from Eric, these don't really leave much of a footprint/signature in the ECU. The great thing about ID/SCT is that before you load the tune onto your truck, the tuner downloads the stock file onto the programmer. Thus, if you want to return the truck back to stock, it's as simple as loading it back onto the ECU and you're good to go. I would assume that using a DPF Off program would actually be more detectable because you're changing/tweaking more. The DPF On tunes are simply load and go!

Finally had a chance to put the truck into 'performance' and drive it on the highway as well as around town. First impressions are: it doesn't really feel neck breaking fast, but it is. The trucks are so damn smooth that you don't even realize how fast you're going or how quickly you get there... The trans tuning is amazing and I would have to say that it's my favorite part. It made me realize how ####ty the factory trans tuning was and how much of an improvement there is over stock. I drove the truck to and from NJ yesterday and averaged 19.8mpg with not even a single regen!

#14 ·
Any more updates from the guys with the box and tuning? I'm really thinking this maybe the way to go.

#15 ·
Actually, I do have an update. I purchased the Torq2 from ID last week and was excited to install it but ran into a slight hiccup. I had an oil pressure sender problem with the truck so I took it to the dealer and they took care of everything. On my work request, I also put down that the truck had hard shifting in 3rd and 5th gear. The dealer updated my TCM software (and possibly my ECU firmware/software) which in turn, made my flash not usable.

After speaking with Eric, he said that SCT did not have the most recent tables so he was unable to create a tune for the new updates which I had installed by the dealer -- that was last week. Eric shot me an email tonight saying that he had my new tunes completed and I will be getting a tune specifically for use with the Torq2 on the highest settings. When I have this tune, I will be sure to post a full review of the differences between the various tune levels.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the service and support I've received from Eric, Ted, Jamie & everyone at Innovative Diesel. It's customer service and support like this that has made me a customer for life. Why can't all companies be like this?

#18 ·
Couple of updates...

Yesterday I came out to find a pink puddle on the ground. Turns out I blew one of the seals on the radiator. Took it to the dealer and they're installing a new one on Monday. Dealer was nice enough to give me two jugs of pre-mixed coolant.

After that, I made the trip down to innovative diesel to get my x3 updated with the new tunes for the most recent release of the Ford firmware. The new tunes I received were xtreme street, torq2 and tow. Since I have yet to install my torq2, I just put it on xtreme street. Once again, Eric & the guys at IDP have killed it. The tune is flawless throughout the range and it pulls extremely hard. Last night I was getting on it and it down shifted to third and broke the tires loose. The power is amazing and it's butter smooth.

I'll be installing the torq2 on Tuesday and will update late next week as I want to see how good the mileage is the the torq2 program + torq2. Eric said it's supposed to be the program which will yield the best mileage.

#21 ·
:::UPDATE:::

Got my truck back yesterday from the dealer after the seal on the rear radiator broke and caused a leak. tech said it was a pain in the ass as the whole front end of the truck had to come off.

After signing all the paperwork, I returned to my shop and installed the torq2 + torq2 tune, 2wd lip, recon clearance lights, LED turn signal lights, 3rd brake light and the Innovative Diesel lexan S&B Filter cover. It was definitely an action packed afternoon, that's for damn sure.

Before I really crack into a full write up of the torq2 + torq2 tune (will be abbreviated t2), it's been pissing here for the last 48hrs so I haven't really had a chance to crack on it and give it a true shakedown. My initial impressions are as follows… The truck has been through three different tunes: street, xtreme street and t2. Out of all the of them, the t2 tune is by far the fastest and snappiest tune. The throttle response is simply unmatched and the power is ridiculous. Just driving around yesterday, the tires wanted to break loose at any chance they had. It's just that powerful and still emissions legal! There was one chance for me to really mash on it while entering the highway and before I knew it, I was pegged at 100. The truck is very street-able as well as perfect for those moments when you have a point to prove. Definitely wouldn't hesitate to pick up the torq2 and the tuner. It'll change you life, give you better gas mileage as well as fewer regens. Even with the various tunes I've had, my regens are about 1/4 of what they used to be and the truck is so much smoother. There is one thing I would like to draw to those who have the tune and those who are looking to purchase… Until the truck reaches 190ºF, you will have torque truncation in effect. Truncation limits the amount of torque that the motor can generate and thus, it will cut your power if the truck is not up to operating temperature. Nothing to be alarmed about, just something to keep in mind when you're out there beating around.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the torq2 + tuner. Even if you just buy the tuner and throw it on xtreme street, you won't be disappointed. Eric and the team at IDP have shown consistent dedication to providing the best customer service in the industry. Eric is now hard at work with custom tuning and expanding the device line up for the 6.7 tunes. Hopefully we'll see the iTSX here soon! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Here are some pics:

#28 ·
Honestly, with the way the EPA is cracking down on everything, I'd go IDP. Not worth the risk of being fined or having issues down the road.

Hey Buck...does the tq2 tune feel the same as the tow tune (with or without the tq2). In other words, is it the same tune with a different name or is it different altogether?
From what I understand the torq2 tune is slightly different than than the tow tune but not by much at all. The torq2 tune is the tow tune renamed with a few minor changes. Eric told me there isn't much variation at all.

and how is that going to perform up here where it gets really cold?
Why would it perform any differently?

Excellent! Thanks for posting your feedback...sound exactly like what I am looking for. Eric can pay you the commission when I place my order...

Brett
You're welcome, Brett. Just want to help get the word out there since H&S/Spartan have been dominating the forum with their tunes consistently. I think people ought to know that Eric is making similar power while keeping the truck emissions legal.

Yeah I second that pretty sure I am going to go full delete H&S cause looks Like no delete tunes from innovative
Withe the EPA consistently cracking down, IDP is still on the fence about the delete tunes.

Speaking of placing an order, just saw this on IDP's Facebook this morning.

Good deal there! $100 off with the combo.

Glad your liking your truck as much as I do Buck!
That's a great deal for the tuner + torq2!

Love my truck even more than I used to!

#27 ·
Speaking of placing an order, just saw this on IDP's Facebook this morning.

Good deal there! $100 off with the combo.

Glad your liking your truck as much as I do Buck!

#30 ·
Just a quick update....

Went to visit my girlfriend tonight and got a chance to really do a thorough shakedown. This tune is purely insane! The power is incredible and the delivery is butter smooth. Don't hesitate to take advantage of the holiday special!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.