Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my 2001 F150 4wd Supercrew just because I've always wanted to try out a diesel. After looking around for a few weeks, I narrowed down to either getting a 2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0 w/ 82k or a 2002 Lariat 7.3 w/ 124k, both crew cab short bed. Both are 1 owner vehicles, but the '06 had about 2k worth of bed damage due to a jackknifed trailer. The 02 is obviously older and has more mileage but has been meticulously maintained. I can get either one for about the same price - $18k.

After driving both the past 2 days, I'm still in a dilemmma. Here are my considerations:
Pros:
2006 - newer, less mileage, nice King Ranch interior and package w/ 20" wheels, love how the front end looks, drives smoother and quieter and a seemingly more responsive engine, price is at the lower end even after considering 2-3k of body work according to KBB and NADA.
2002 - looks immaculate, 4" Rancho lift and Weld wheels, love the Oxford white exterior, retractable electric bed cover, extensive maintenance records, older but desirable 7.3., seats up to 6.
Cons:
2006 - some body damage, esp in the bed area, 4 bucket seats--comfortable but limited seating, 6.0 reputation, I don't care too much for the 2 tone dark green/tan color, i like the stock stance with 20" wheels but I would prefer a moderate lift.
2002 - older and more miles, doesn't seem to have as much getup as the 6.0, classic exterior/interior but with the new models out, starting to look dated, and price seems a little high per NADA and KBB.

Both checked out great in NADA Autocheck and OASIS reports , both are single owner vehicles, both are local, neither has had any engine mods.

What else should I be taking into account? Which one should I buy, if any?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello and welcome! My first diesel was the 7.3L and I loved it. I now own a 6.0L with only 59k on it. It took some looking around but I wanted to find a 6.0L with low miles so that I could do all of the preventative maintence to make it a solid truck. 7.3L good from the start or 6.0L good with some extra effort. It's up to you.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
I bought my 6.0 brand new in 2005, and if I'd known then what I know now, I would have bought a used 7.3.

Try two searches on Google:
1. Best Ford diesel engine
2. Worst Ford diesel engine

Just sayin'

·
Registered
98 Posts
6.0 all day long !!!!! i have had one 6.9 -three 7.3 and one 6.0 and one 6.4 and 6.0 is still my favorite till it breaks !!! stud/delete then its good to go. 250k here and still kicking 7.3s all day long!! keep the oil changed and you will love it . better looking to, better mpg with the rite help from your favorite tuner .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly I don't think I'd go with either. I think they are both overpriced.

That being said, I'd give a nod to the 2002. It has the legendary 7.3, no previous or current body damage, you prefer the color, and it sounds as if it has a nice stance with the mild lift. Lifted trucks can sometimes be a bad thing, but not always. Seems to be a no brainer between the two.

·
Registered
559 Posts
7.3.....they r sluggish but just put a chip in it (600 bucks or so) and itll be a fun truck with more then enough power, more reliable/desirable engine and will outlast a 6.0 and cost u less if something goes wrong just keep in mind how much itll cost u when or if it has engine problems they arnt cheap, all u gotta do is swap the front end to a 05+ and a chip then ur set....not hating on the 6.0 i was in the same shoes as u a year ago and i went with the 7.3 and never regret a second of it, especialy when all my friends own 6.0s lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
depends on how much money you want to spend. If you buy the 6.0, its a MUST to get the egr deleted and studded. that costs a little $$. with the 7.3 you lose a little power compared to the 6.0 but if you keep the oil changed you shouldnt have to touch it. Honestly though, the 7.3 has all the power you should ever need unless your pulling heavy with it. And you can just tune the 7.3 if you want more power. good luck

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
7.3 but for that price u could find a way better 6.0 or even a nice 5.9 cummins.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Id go 7.3. The 6.0 is an excellent motor........once its bullet proofed. 18k seems high for the 2002 though. I bought my 02 crew cab 4x4 w/134 on the clock and a 6" lift for $9700.
The body has a little rust but nothing a set of fender flares wont cover.

Good luck with which ever one you choose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll go with 7.3, sure a little sluggish than newer trucks, but for me it does the job. Reputation alone is gold. Here in So Cal you can pick up any 6.0 by the dozen cheap(sort of), but it will take longer to find a 7.3 for the right price

·
your mom
211 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.