Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just built a 300 BLK AR pistol. All parts cleaned before being installed. Brought it out to do some initial test firing to figure out what weight buffer worked best, and when I went to do a mag swap after only 150 rounds, I couldn't pull the BCG out of battery to chamber a round. After giving it some GRRR the bolt finally came out. What I found is in the pictures below. A green, flaky residue which appears to have come from the gas tube based on what I see. It was so gummed up that even a bit of oil wouldn't allow the bolt to move within the carrier. I had to use some pliers, carefully applied of course, to get the bolt out once I got home. Everything came right off no problem using Hoppes, but this is just downright weird. I've never seen this before, and I really can't find anything definitive on the net either. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through various weapons over the years, with the majority being through an AR type platform....albeit in 5.56 generally. I even did a test on a cheapie AR of mine in which I didn't clean anything on it until I hit the 2000 round mark, and it was functioning perfectly....just a little dirty. None ever had a green residue, and none ever gummed up so much that they failed to function. Ideas? Oh...I was using Fiocchi ammo. I've used their stuff in the past without issue...though their 5.56 probably uses a different powder than their 300.

Couple other thoughts before I hit post. lol In the pic of the upper receiver, yes it is cerakoted, but none of that scraped off or anything. Everything you see in that pic is residue from the powder...or something like a reaction to the powder. Who knows, that's why I'm asking. lol Also, in the chamber there are a bunch of little yellow particles you can see. My guess was unburnt powder, but I've never seen yellow powder before....might have to take a bullet out of a case to see what's in there. Maybe burn a bit to see if any residue is left behind.

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
That looks like an ammo selection issue. Or something you left on the bolt didn't like the ammo.

and when I went to do a mag swap after only 150 rounds
Not sure if you went 150 rounds straight using a drum mag, how hot you let it get, etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just 30 round mags, and firing at a slow-ish pace. Nothing got really hot. I'm thinking it's from the ammo as well. What I had on the bolt is the same stuff I always use. I'll be trying other ammo to see if I can repeat the results.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Had a very similar experience with the fiocchi in 5.56. Eventually narrowed it down to using Hoppes oil, with the fiocchi rounds, rem-oil in the spray can before using that ammo helped. Didn't solve it, but made it useable enough to practice with the fiocchi stuff. I've also had excessive fouling issues with some of the pistol rounds.

Not saying it's YOUR problem, but, a similar one I had.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts