Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GO BIG RED
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys I know some of the history of the truck but not all of it.

I purchased this truck last year some time I have put maybe 6-7000 miles on it sense then.

Long story short I believe I have head gasket failure. I built 19-20 psi on he cooling system and no heat.
Unfortunately this is not my first rodeo with gasket failure with a studded truck.

I have not taken the heads off yet BUT was told they are Fire ringed and the truck is also studded. Now i thought Fire Ringed heads were the best of the best. SO apparently they were done WRONG. We will see after i get them off.

My question is do you just reuse the fire ringed heads or do they always need resurfacing to.

When they resurface them do they just resurface and re-groove them and all is good. Any one know a good place I can send them.

Or am I better off just buying new bare heads and just going back to factory style heads.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Eagle,

On a cold start pop the radiator cap off and see if you get bubbles in the coolant reservoir. It may take a few mins and a bit engine reving. You can also pressurize the coolant system and watch the leak down. These tests will at least confirm your diagnosis. While the fire rings help protect the head gasket from killer heat they don't do anything for head pressures which can still lift the heads. Once the heads lift and stretch the studs all bets are off even with fire rings.

Cj

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you running crazy boost or towing up towards your limits?

Interested to see what you find out.. I had mine done almost 2 yrs ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
GO BIG RED
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you running crazy boost or towing up towards your limits?
I would say not even close max boost is 28-30psi and have not really towed anything with it.

·
GO BIG RED
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eagle,

On a cold start pop the radiator cap off and see if you get bubbles in the coolant reservoir. It may take a few mins and a bit engine reving. You can also pressurize the coolant system and watch the leak down. These tests will at least confirm your diagnosis. While the fire rings help protect the head gasket from killer heat they don't do anything for head pressures which can still lift the heads. Once the heads lift and stretch the studs all bets are off even with fire rings.

Cj
I don't really have a very aggressive setup and a max boost of 30psi with 155 injectors. Don't see how I could lift the heads.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Eagle,

Hmmm.... Ok. I'd still pop the top off the coolant system when the truck is cold and just check if you have bubbles. I would expect with blown head gaskets that you would be consuming coolant. So other possibilities - Bad coolant pump. Thermostat that isn't functioning. Does the engine warm up at all? If the engine warms up, but you don't have heat it could be a plugged heater core. I'm not very familiar with the 6.0 setup - I wonder if you may have a valve that controls coolant going to the heater core. Well just some thoughts. Let us know how you fare.

Cj

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
If you release the pressure after it’s up to temp, and then go drive it, does it build up pressure again? To me you’re definitely having a head sealing issue. A bad water pump or Tstat will not cause excessive system pressure. The truck would likely over heat anyway with a failed impeller.

·
GO BIG RED
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you release the pressure after it’s up to temp, and then go drive it, does it build up pressure again? To me you’re definitely having a head sealing issue. A bad water pump or Tstat will not cause excessive system pressure. The truck would likely over heat anyway with a failed impeller.
Yes I got the truck up to temp released the presser and tested again straight to 20psi or so.

·
GO BIG RED
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eagle,

Hmmm.... Ok. I'd still pop the top off the coolant system when the truck is cold and just check if you have bubbles. I would expect with blown head gaskets that you would be consuming coolant. So other possibilities - Bad coolant pump. Thermostat that isn't functioning. Does the engine warm up at all? If the engine warms up, but you don't have heat it could be a plugged heater core. I'm not very familiar with the 6.0 setup - I wonder if you may have a valve that controls coolant going to the heater core. Well just some thoughts. Let us know how you fare.

Cj
I just had the cooling system flushed and cleaned because I was having no heat issues. Because what are the odds a fire ringed head would fail. Also the truck has a fairly new water pump and tsat. Also removed the valve going to the heater core to eliminate that issue. So my last test was cooling system check and well as you no it did not go well.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,410 Posts
I am of the belief that those heads likely aren't fire-ringed. If they were, and were also using ARP studs, no head lifting /bolt stretching or gasket blowing should be occuring. I've run several o-ringed and studded trucks with 40+ psi boost pressures with no excessive degas pressure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd say they're not o-ringed or it was done wrong. This would be the first case of o-ringed heads blowing gaskets that I've heard of on 3 forums and fascist book. If you need new heads I'd look at the KillDevil heads. KC Turbo is a dealer and Charlie can answer all your questions.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have an update on this? Curious since yours will be the only known failure of o-ringed heads

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts

·
GO BIG RED
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Here is the update

Heads were not Fire-ringed at all nothing just a stock head and his sale add said fire ringed not o-ringed. reason the heads gaskets went was the guy that did the head job used 18mm dowels and the heads were 20mm so the head was not even centered. I do not have the time to really express how pissed off I am the guy lied to me and did a complete **** job on the heads. The front cover also needed replaced because it was leaking because the coolant was so bad it was eating the alum away past the sealing surface. probably because the truck was driven on bad gaskets so long my guess.

·
Registered
111 Posts
OK Here is the update

Heads were not Fire-ringed at all nothing just a stock head and his sale add said fire ringed not o-ringed. reason the heads gaskets went was the guy that did the head job used 18mm dowels and the heads were 20mm so the head was not even centered. I do not have the time to really express how pissed off I am the guy lied to me and did a complete **** job on the heads. The front cover also needed replaced because it was leaking because the coolant was so bad it was eating the alum away past the sealing surface. probably because the truck was driven on bad gaskets so long my guess.
If my heads were off I'd either send em out to get o-ringed or just get new ones from KDD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts