Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll apologize in advance for the newbie question, but what are the actual consequences if you get caught with no cat or muffler?

Who here (you, not your Uncle Kool Aid or Cousin Cletus) has actually been caught? What were you missing, and what were the consequences?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was never caught missing anything, but this year for PA inspection I was made to install a cat which I didn’t have before. We don’t have actual emissions testing in my county, just visual inspection. This was the first year I had to have one. My mechanic said they were starting to crack down on it. Keep in mind my truck is an 02 standard trans which did come stock with one but it was “removed” years ago when the 4 inch turbo back was installed. I don’t know if this would apply to auto trucks that never had one to begin with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally see no real advantage to removing the muffler so might as well keep that, but it sure does run better with no cat....

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
If the truck came from the factory technically it would have to have one, but for now they can't mandate that you have to install one if it didn't have one. But there has been talk about it in states like California.

As for penalties, it'll depend on the state. You might just need to install what is supposed to be there, you might be fined, or both. Worse case they will fine you make you install what is supposed to be there and perhaps revoke the registration.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Or to save on postage... If you have a cat take it out and drill out the core, then put the shell back in. Personally, I don't think the cat does much of anything for emissions, but here in Utah we are required to have one even though I don't have to get tested for emissions (I'd fail safety).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts