Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the truck a couple years ago, it now has about 180,000 miles on it. It has developed a bit of noise on the left front wheel so I took it apart to find that the inner wheel bearing is worn. So I head off to NAPA auto parts. I have always had good luck with NAPA. It turns out that the early 99 may be an oddity or NAPA has really blown it on this one. First off, I ask who makes their bearings? They told me SKF, a brand that I always thought of as a superior quality product. To my surprise when I open the box, it is made in China. Twice now they have provided rotors that will fit the truck, but won't fit my wheels. 14mm will not even fit through the holes and the second try was 9/16-18 was not only wrong but the stud pattern was wrong on both sets of rotors that they said will work. Today I will have the old ones turned and replace the bearings and seals.

Does anyone know where, other than the dealer, to find good quality rotors? Early 99 F250SD Lariat, auto transmission, rear wheel drive, ABS on rear only. Rotor and hub is all one piece.

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
because they are giving you rotors for the f250 ld.
tell them you need rotors for a early 99 F350 and you will get the proper parts.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
On the bearings I doubt that you will find many that are made here in the good old US.

Like everything else they have been outsourced overseas.

·
Administrator
8,274 Posts
I dont know if you want to change out the unit bearings but you can switch to L99 hubs and rotors. The difference between the e99 and l99 is the off set on the hat. If the unit bearing ever does go bad it's cheaper to just go to l99 bearings vs one e99 bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
because they are giving you rotors for the f250 ld.
tell them you need rotors for a early 99 F350 and you will get the proper parts.
Thanks. It may just be Napa. When I looked up the part for the 99 F350 they show a rotor that uses a separate hub/ bearing set. I did find the part from Detroit axel. At this point I just replaced the bearings and seal. With the current travel restrictions I doubt that I will put 5000 miles on it this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts