Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally found someone to build the conversion hangers for me to put 08+ leaf springs on a 99-07 model truck. My parts should be in tomorrow, will probably be next week before I get started. For anyone that didn't catch any of my old thread, I'll try to answer a few questions ahead of time. The main advantage of the conversion is In 2008 the F-250/350 received a longer rear spring that increased payload capacity as well as increasing the ride quality greatly. The 08+ leaf spring is 8" longer than the 99-07 leaf spring. A disadvantage of the 99-07 leaf spring is that the axle is not centered on the leaf spring. In other words, from the axle to the rear spring mount is 8" longer than it is from the axle to the front spring mounts, which adds to the axle wrap problem. The 08+ spring adds 8" to the front of the spring which puts the axle in the center of the leaf spring where it belongs.

First step will be to mount the spring hangers. They are designed to be set against the frame and use an existing bolt hole on the frame to line the hangers up correctly. Once they are lined up, its time to drill some holes. The hanger also takes into account the emergency brake cable, and is built to keep it functioning properly. I'll be posting pictures and adding to the write-up as the project progresses. In the meantime, here is a picture of what the hanger looks like. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need more information.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hangers came in. I took a couple of pictures. I put a drink can in the picture for size reference. These things are big, well built, and heavy. Almost 25 pounds each!!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wanted to get everything installed today but it didnt work out that way. One of my pistons on my rear passenger side brake caliper shattered, so I spent the day installing a new rotor, caliper, pads, and a ton of brake fluid lol.

Anyway, while I had the passenger side jacked up and the tire out of the way I went ahead and installed the passenger side 08 conversion hanger.

Here is a pic of what it looked like before I started:

There is one existing hole on the frame for lining the bracket up. Basically the bracket goes up and against the bottom of the frame, and butts right up against the front of the factory hanger. Here is the existing hole:

I went and bought some grade 8 bolts, 3/8" by 1 3/4" long (about 5/8" of shoulder on the bolt), and nylon lock nuts and flat washers to go along with them.

Once I slid the bracket in place, I put a bolt through the hole on the bracket that matched up with the existing factory hole, and bolted snugged it down. Then I drilled out the highest hole (number 1 in the picture) and snugged it down. I used the 3/8 bit and drilled the frame wherever there were holes on the new bracket. I just drilled it a little to mark my spots, the took the hanger off to drill them completely. I used a 3/8" Cobalt bit and some cutting oil and it was a piece of cake. Just remember to keep that bit lubed. Here is a pic of the holes once I had them all drilled.

Then it was just a matter of putting it in place and bolting it all down. Would have been SUPER quick if the stupid muffler wasn't in the way. It makes things hard to get to. Anyway, here is a picture of it all bolted in place.

And a bottom view:

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Nice. I wouldnt mind doing something like this. And did you lay that big bracket on the hood of your truck?????

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nice. I wouldnt mind doing something like this. And did you lay that big bracket on the hood of your truck?????
nah looks like a trunk of a car ha ha it's only a car...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats my beater honda I inherited when my daughter blew then engine up lol. In the process of doing a VTEC motor swap right now. I call it Project MPG!!! lol

·
Registered
842 Posts
ha ha nice

·
Fabricator/Mechanic
129 Posts
ok, and how is the ride in comparasion? Looks like I have another mod to do on the EX if the ride is plush?

·
Registered
691 Posts
when can we buy these?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The hangers are available now, pm me for more info if you want it since he's not a site sponsor. You can usually find leaf springs for $200 or so. I picked up a set without overloads, because I am going to do helper bags instead.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
ok, and how is the ride in comparasion? Looks like I have another mod to do on the EX if the ride is plush?
You are gonna have to look at the ride height and weight capacity as the X is like having a permanent 1K load in the bed of a 350. It causes straight pickup springs to sag. That is why the B code springs are modded by adding an extra leaf or two depending how you do it to handle the extra weight. Compare the actual weight of the 08s versus the 99-2005 in the rear. The other thing is checking the frame to make sure it is the same as the Super Dutys at that point. AS the X goes to the rear it uses a different frame rail shape. I think its good at he front mount though but not sure. I like the idea though if it gives a even better ride and it should offer better perf when the suspension cycles given the even distribution and longer arc.

TxFireman1972,

Is there any lift that comes from doing this straight spring swap in the rear? Maybe from the weight capacity or ride height dif in those years or vehicle weight changes? Or is it a even swap height wise?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TxFireman1972,

Is there any lift that comes from doing this straight spring swap in the rear? Maybe from the weight capacity or ride height dif in those years or vehicle weight changes? Or is it a even swap height wise?
"Should be" a straight swap. Of course every truck may be a little different. There are a ton of variable, that's why I'm going to get my springs put on, then mock it up with blocks to find out exactly how much lift I need before I order my traction block setup.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why not just remove the original hanger and move it forward?

Aaron

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You probably could if you could get the hanger off without messing it up, use the mount holes without hitting something, and make provisions for the parking break cable. And also get it in the right place and still have the whole hanger on the frame. Lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
how is the ride? i am interested in doing this to my 2000 f250 but i will have to buy 8" springs for my truck cause i have a 8" lift.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't got the leafs on yet. You don't have to buy lifted springs. I have 5" ICON springs and 3" blocks on there now. I'm going to go to a traction block setup with a factory 08 leaf spring. I'll be running 8" of lift in the front, will probably end up with 9" in the rear.

·
Registered
753 Posts
what is the advantage of the 08 springs?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's all explained in the first post of this thread.

·
Registered
753 Posts
roger that!!!!! where can i get them?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts