Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 33' fifth wheel and was thinking about putting a conversion on the front to go to a goose neck. Tired of all the space my hitch takes in my truck.
Was wondering what people thought? How does a goose neck tow compared to a regular fifth wheel hitch?
Something like this.Ranch Hitch Adapter Fifth Wheel to gooseneck 3100 NEW | eBay

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have seen them before at the camp grounds near teh state park

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else?

·
GreatWhite
132 Posts
A gooseneck won't ride near as good. By a B&W fifth wheel. You can remove it in less than a minute and it rides great.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Way To Many Projects
660 Posts
I run both My camper is a 5er and I have a 40' GN I haul my back hoe I like them both and dislike them both. but if the hitch is the problem I would just take it out when not useing it. It's only four pins and the $20 wood dollies form the hard ware store roll it around the shop nicely. my $.02

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I run a 5er hitch with my GN horse trailer makes it a quicker hook up")

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have used the adapter deal since i owned a 5th wheel and havent had any problems i haul my good neck trailer alot more that i do my camper so it doesnt make much sense to have the 5th wheel plate

·
Fire junkie
536 Posts
I use one like that with a ~8" off set so it sits back just a little more (I have a short bed) so far I like it no problems

Roy

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get goosebumps when I see an RV with a goose neck setup. I broke my pin frame on the previous trailer and did some engineering on the cause of the break and realized that the RV frames are at the limit as for strenght and I have heard of many 5th wheel frame failures.

No way can the frame hold against heavy braking if the trailer brake fail because they load the pin frame by 200% compare to 5th Wheel. I will never be caught having one of those adapter on my trailer again.
I noticed the frame fracture a few months after I was towed (emergency) by such a setup and I kept telling the drive to stop using his jake brake because I could see my trailer frame moving.

Which reminds me that the Jake braking adds unneccessary stresses on the pin frame and I would not use it on my 5th wheel neither.

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
I used that exact adapter with my 5th wheel. Ran it for 5 years with no problems and even towed doubles for the last 2 years. Only reason I removed it is because my "new" truck already had the hitch rails for 5th wheel hitch. There are definite advantages to both hitches. My old truck had a B&W turnover ball and I never had to worry about where to store it.
If you use the adapter, pay attention to your clearances between the truck and trailer. Goose necks move alot more, especially side to side. Also with goose necks, you will get more buck from the rear( at least I did from my CCLB).

·
Registered
10 Posts
My brother in law has that adapter. I have another brand but wish I had that one. I have to climb in the bed to put a pin in the hitch to lock it and he just pulls a lever.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the adapters are nice but expensive.this may or may not mean any thing but i was told that the adapters were made for any thing over 12,000 to 15,000 pounds.i recently converted a 40 foot 5th wheel into a equipment trailer and want to use the adapter but chose not to from what i was told so i cut the neck off and made it a goose neck because the trailer hauls 15,0000 to 25,000 all the time. but who knows thats my .02 worth

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I get goosebumps when I see an RV with a goose neck setup. I broke my pin frame on the previous trailer and did some engineering on the cause of the break and realized that the RV frames are at the limit as for strenght and I have heard of many 5th wheel frame failures.

No way can the frame hold against heavy braking if the trailer brake fail because they load the pin frame by 200% compare to 5th Wheel. I will never be caught having one of those adapter on my trailer again.
I noticed the frame fracture a few months after I was towed (emergency) by such a setup and I kept telling the drive to stop using his jake brake because I could see my trailer frame moving.

Which reminds me that the Jake braking adds unneccessary stresses on the pin frame and I would not use it on my 5th wheel neither.
That's what I've noticed, that adapter puts a lot more "leverage" on the king pin of a fifthwheel. Because of that I don't think I would want to run one. To the OP, if your thinking about getting one just so the hitch isn't in your bed I wouldn't do it. I'd just deal with having to remove the hitch. A fifth wheel hitch is much more stable side to side then a gooseneck and quicker to hook up to anyways.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those adapters put a ton of extra stress on the RV pin box.

I saw a 5th wheel on the side of the road yesterday that had the hitch ripped right out of it. The truck was on a flatbed being towed away, the hitch and gooseneck adapter were still hanging off of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was looking at this deal to. a friend of mine said it will void the campers warranty, if it were a new camper. supposedly it will split the side of the camper in some cases. I have never seen this happen, I have seen many 5th wheel to goose neck conversions done and noone has had any problems. jus my .02 as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the only probs i have heard of is trailers 10,000 or heavier ...but thats my .02 worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thay both have good and bad points about them. i used one till i got a new 38 ft toybox. took it off would have voided warrenty if used. rv mech says lots of pin boxes get broken cause of them. just get a good fw rocker hitch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts