Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have tunes from both IDP and Gearhead, and not looking to discuss that but I want to know who has a tuned ficm & what tune. I'm looking to revisit who likes whose tuning on ficms better and why. What real gains did you see and what if any hand calculated mpg's? I know swamps, php, IDP and some others do the tuning. Let the opinions fly...

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
FICM tuning results will vary based upon the current PCM/FICM strategies already used in the truck.

For me PHP FICM tuning gave me better low end which helped the turbo spooling off the line. MPGs were maybe a 1MPG gain but then I've modded a ton since then. I have never had the dealership reflash the PCM since I bought the truck new. Other posts I have read gave good MPG results on trucks that had been reflashed. PHP does a combination PCM/FICM "roll back" to the better strategies.

Contact PHP for more info. I believe PHP will become a bigger player in the future with the 6.0L crowd. They have a dyno and have been running a shop truck through the mill.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've talked to both php and IDP today. Php says it's best to change my strategy to get the best possible fuel mileage = my tunes have to be rewritten = more $ in the long run or have them tune the PCM with a tune when they have it. IDP says I can get 1-2 mpg from the ficm tune and keep my strategy the same, no loss of tunes.
Who has done what to their truck as far as a roll back or custom tune and what are your opinions after the changes? It's not a ? of if I'm gonna tune the ficm it's just a ? of how to tune it.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The FICM hybrid that PHP has works well... it pretty much just lets the FICM deliver what i am asking for in the tune and has mild inductive heating. I like it and have seen 20hp gained at 3600+ rpms because of the timing limitation being removed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks matt, I'm looking for optimum mpg's so I know that will probably involve a strategy change and a new tune from you as my srl woulnt work on he new strategy....just need the most mpg's for the $.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts