Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. my truck has a GT38R, SD turbo pedistal, SD 3in plentums and intercooler from an 03. my question is this.. when running the 38R, SD pedistal and intercooler.. are the boost boots stock SD boots? mine have some cracks and need replacing.. if they are what are some decent replacements? another question is the boots that connect the spider to the intake plentums and the clamp that holds the spider to the turbo have hose clamps.. where can i get those too. and final question... about how long should it take to change up pipe gaskets and are there any other options other than the stockers and beans gaskets? obviously the stockers dont last and the beans gaskets are a little more than i can spend at the time. thanks in advance.

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm not sure on the up pipes but if your runnin all SD parts you can get new boots from ford for those components. I never had a problem with the stocker boots.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. The guy I got the truck from confirmed that the intercooler boots are from a 7.3 SD.. if I'm gonna need to replace one or two I might as well replace all 4. And the boots from the spyder to plentums look fine... I just didn't know if they should have stainless bandclamps instead of hose clamps.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Regular hose clamps wont work to good, Tbolt clamps are what you need for the intercooler tubes. I would not use the chev ex. gaskets for the up pipes, go to ford and getum or get the brass ones.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I figured but thought id ask. Where can I get 3in stainless clamps? And what's everyones opinions on the up pipe gaskets? Beans or ford? From what I've read you can get both gaskets from ford for like $20.. I can get em cheaper cause I get parts at cost.. and the beans gaskets are like $85 right?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well after debating it a little today.. i went ahead and stopped by the dealer and got some on my way home from work. didnt want to drive all the way to bowling green next weekend with em leaking. gonna change em tonight and hope they last for awhile till i can save up and get the stainless bellowed up pipes.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Well I tore it apart tonight and everything came right apart. No problems at all. Had the boost tubes, spider, turbo and up pipe collector off in less than an hr. I then took the up pipes loose from the manifolds. Now this is where my inexperience with Powerstrokes starts to kick in. I was under the impression that the up pipe gaskets were down at the manifold cause because that is where my truck was leaking. So when i took the collector off and saw 2 gaskets there i was like WTF!!!! Because the guy at the dealership said there were only 2 needed so that’s what I got. Then I took the pipes loose from the manifolds and realized there wasn’t any gasket there. Well I went ahead and put the gaskets on since I had it apart. I put some high temp copper silicone on the bottom connection and put it all back together. While I had it apart I found the cause of my low boost issue. The waste gate had blown open, not all the way but probably 1/4 or 1/3 of the way I shut it while it was off and took it for a drive afterwards and now it will push 40+psi. After all that the bottom connections still leak a little. So tomorrow I am going to take the grade 5 bolts out and put in some grade 8's so i can tighten them down more.

Editied to improve readibility

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I would be real careful with torquing down on those manifolds. They are cast iron and if you crank down on them too much they will snap then you will really be up the creek without that paddle. I would get the engine good and hot and then snug them up some more. That should seal them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i know.. thanks for looking out.. i just meant that when i was tightening them last night i could feel the grade 5 bolts starting to stretch and twist.. so i quit. so i figure with some grade 8's ill be able to tighten it more and get it sealed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts