Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kinda narrowed down the manufacturers of parts I want (or think I want), cold air, 4" exhaust, chip. What's your go-to source?

Does a tune really make a big difference over stock?

Truck is bone stock until I bought it (month ago) and leveled up the front. Just my daily driver, looking for a bit more power, fuel mileage. Not going to be hard on the truck, no towing, heavy hauling.

Sorry for the ignorant new guy questions BTW.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've kinda narrowed down the manufacturers of parts I want (or think I want), cold air, 4" exhaust, chip. What's your go-to source?

Does a tune really make a big difference over stock?

Truck is bone stock until I bought it (month ago) and leveled up the front. Just my daily driver, looking for a bit more power, fuel mileage. Not going to be hard on the truck, no towing, heavy hauling.

Sorry for the ignorant new guy questions BTW.

Does a tune really make a difference? If it didn’t , we wouldn’t have so many tuners. Hydra would be a great start. Hearhead, phptunes, Jody Tipton.

Give riffraff, cncfab, dieselsite a try. I’ve shopped at all three. My favorite as far as small parts and hard to find parts would be riffraff. Clay is a great guy other there. Just make sure you order in one go or shipping gets rather expensive.

If you need a transmission from stock to wild: dieselsite, cncfab, bts, jw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe gains are to be had, I was skeptical of getting 80-100 hp from a plug-n-play unit though.

The php, from what I've read, seems to be the way to roll. The only reason I've not pulled the trigger on buying one? It makes me physically ill to think of a box hanging off my dash with Velcro. Maybe I can get a super long cable, mill out an aluminum insert and have it neatly presentable in the cup holder, just an idea, I can shut it and not see it. I know, I'm being weird and petty.

I'm a manual trans guy, so I hope this ZF6 lasts me for a long time. My wife has a pretty nice Accord, EXL, she said the other day she kind of missed changing gears.......

·
Administrator
8,341 Posts
I run in a chip from DP Tuners. Without bigger injectors, 60-80hp over stock is all you will see no mater what tune you run.
As said, Clay at riffraff will usually get you the best bang for your money.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as noticeable difference: with a Hydra, intake, and exhaust, you will feel like you bought a completely different truck compared to stock.

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered some goodies from Riff Raff today, you guys pointed me in the right direction. Great bunch to deal with.

What's everyone's favorite brand/type of 4" exhaust? Looking for something durable that runs/sounds good but not super loud. That would probably be a project a few weeks down the road.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ordered some goodies from Riff Raff today, you guys pointed me in the right direction. Great bunch to deal with.

What's everyone's favorite brand/type of 4" exhaust? Looking for something durable that runs/sounds good but not super loud. That would probably be a project a few weeks down the road.

Diamond eye IIRC, is a good one but honestly they’re all so similar in price. Any 304 Stainless steel setup is going to suit you fine (from riff raff).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yessir, save up, buy the good stuff, hope nothing stupid happens!

Got to be careful with extra cash, I'm danger close to a major kitchen overhaul, or my wife is going to kill me.

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i see another kitchen renovation thread in our future!!!
Sweet mother of baby Jesus, I'm not looking forward to it. I hate to live in a construction zone with all of our indoor possessions covered in sheetrock dust.

Last time was a few years ago, middle of summer, both bathrooms. Now I can poop in the woods with the best, but no shower at home for almost two weeks. Never again says I.

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought the majority of goodies from Riffraff, great source. Had to call back and get a SB clutch. It was enough of a difference to overpower what was in it, even though it worked great before and upon removal, it was new.

I don't see the room for improvement in the tuner I bought, I can see a PHP Hydra in the not so distant future.

I'm guessing the best source is CNC Fab?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have done the research. Riffraf has the best prices for the Hydra. They all want $325 but the flush mount is less expensive there.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts