Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to put a manual lock up switch on my stock fan. Would be nice to lock it up full speed before it needs to when I'm in the mountains. For some resone when I'm pull heavy I can't hear it running full speed but my temps is 220-235 water temp.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I believe you can have a tune written that will engage your fan according to the parameters you specify.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Why not put on a fan clutch for the snow plow optioned vehicle? They draw in more air at lower speeds I believe.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I never thought of that but that is a great idea. Our dully had that and the fan ran a lot sooner and more often. Thank you. That's what I'll do.
Why not put on a fan clutch for the snow plow optioned vehicle? They draw in more air at lower speeds I believe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
the fan clutch is an electro-viscous type controlled by the ecm,anywhere from 0-100% engaged at any time based on programming.no sense in over complicating it.while towing,your defuel is set low enough that the fan most likely hasnt even engaged fully to begin cooling.check oil temp vs. coolant to rule out the oil cooler.then get an sct or change the defuel parameter.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help.
I have a sct and edge insight, temps stay around 5-10* most all the time, after a long hill 15*. Need to get to a egr delete soon. Help the oil cooler.
the snowplow clutch is just his ticket

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sorry, got another thread and this one confused.yours isn't de fueling lol.i still think the non plow setup is capable of cooling it.what are your egts when this happens? Also with ids you can engage the fan to test it.maybe you have a bad clutch.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My egts range from 1300-1375.
235 ECT 240 EOT pulling 25,000 lbs on a 4-6% grade a few miles long. Which I think is normal. And out side temp was 80*, at 6000'.

·
Registered
368 Posts
are you towing with tunes or stock?stock injectors and a powermax? at 235 the fan should be balls out.the snow plow clutch may help but i think it may be suffering from a combination things.thin air, causing extended egts,plus transmission heat from a big load on a grade transferred to the coolant.1375 isnt high,but for how long.its gonna run hotter in thinner air all around,those egts and tranny heat transfer to the coolant in a big way.do you still have an egr cooler in it?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Towing with a tow tune, yes still have the egr cooler, for that weight and thin air, it did very good at keeping temps low, my trans stayed at under 210. I'm just getting ideas to cool it of so when I do injectors I will have a better chance keeping it cool. I didn't hear the fan hit full speed but I was not listening for it, had my hands full with temps, load and other drives. My 2008 durmax will heat up faster and a little over 235 all stock. They need bigger cooling systems.

·
Registered
368 Posts
deleteing the egr should help as well then.even when the valve isnt open,exhaust gasses are heating the coolant in the cooler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts