Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys can help me with an answer...... As a test after the fan wouldn't disengage, I unplugged the cooling fan and it still stays engaged. Can I assume I'm in need of a new fan clutch ?

In a nutshell.... new oil cooler plugged up again and the fan didn't engage up to 235* EOT. So..... I figured I'd do some investigating with AE. I initiated the non engaged cooling fan and set it to 100%. It did engage and the meter went to 30% only. Then I set the fan at 50% and the meter went to 15% only. Is this normal or not ? Doesn't seem right to me. Finally I set it to off..... and the clutch didn't disengage. So I went and unplugged it and it is still engaged and howling away at startup, even the next day when cold it is still engaged. Am I mis diagnosing this fan problem ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya... sure is stuck on. And according to AE, it would only max out at 30% so in my eyes the clutch is toast. I'm just looking for some assurance before replacing it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I feel your pain my fan clutch on my 05 f250 kept giving me a trouble code.
P0528 fan clutch speed sensor no signal. So I ordered a new fan clutch and guess what the new fan clutch shows up I check my trouble code via the Edge Insight and no code and thats been over a month ago. Now I feel like I wasted the money on the new fan clutch but I guess I have one if it starts acting up again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a egr valve plugged in and sitting in the valley or installed in the intake? If not, try it.
No I don't have the EGR valve plugged in. I did think of that but as of right now as I try to turn the fan by hand, it is locked up pretty good. AND the fan has been unplugged for days so I think it's toast.

Gonna replace it and see how well it responds to AE commands. If I have issues with it then I will throw the EGR valve in it and see what comes of it.

Last I remember.... I never had issue with the fans function last summer with no EGR valve.... worked properly when needed !

I feel your pain my fan clutch on my 05 f250 kept giving me a trouble code.
P0528 fan clutch speed sensor no signal. So I ordered a new fan clutch and guess what the new fan clutch shows up I check my trouble code via the Edge Insight and no code and thats been over a month ago. Now I feel like I wasted the money on the new fan clutch but I guess I have one if it starts acting up again.
Mine throws no codes unless I unplug it.... And as previously mentioned, I use AE for diagnostics and such. I imagine that code is stored somewhere that Edge can't access..... with a good reader that code would be revealed. I'll have to see if my Edge is showing it when AE is as well......

What brand clutch did you pick up ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a oem motorcraft. The thing that gets me is that it was showing a trouble code on my insight for several weeks. I would reset the code and it would come right back. I was checking it pretty regular and then I did the update on the Insight and I stopped getting the code. Makes me think it has something to do with the update cause I keep checking my codes and nothing on the fan clutch. I know its still reading codes cause i got one the other day for my speed sensor when my speedo stopped working. I thought about taking it to Advance and having them check it for codes just to see. Ah the joys of the 6.0...:doh:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I might have some time during the day to do some more playing with AE. I never bother to use the Edge for code reading as it only reads the generic ones..... AE is one hell of a tool

Anyone happen to know who the OEM manufacturer is for the clutch ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts