Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have worked your truck hard enough to get the fan clutch to engage, how hot is the temp gauge when the clutch locks up? I pulled about a 10 mile 4-7% grade a week ago towing 7K and it was about 85* ambient and the clutch didn't seem to lock up. The temp gauge got up to about the left side of "A" in normal by the time I topped the hill. I know where the heat was coming from because I held the EGT at about 1250 for the full hill so the oil cooler was working fine, I just figured the fan should have locked by then.

Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
I dont know i've been having the same problem, I've never seen or herd it come on, the Four years i've had the truck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For those of you that have worked your truck hard enough to get the fan clutch to engage, how hot is the temp gauge when the clutch locks up? I pulled about a 10 mile 4-7% grade a week ago towing 7K and it was about 85* ambient and the clutch didn't seem to lock up. The temp gauge got up to about the left side of "A" in normal by the time I topped the hill. I know where the heat was coming from because I held the EGT at about 1250 for the full hill so the oil cooler was working fine, I just figured the fan should have locked by then.

Thoughts?
Thanks
im not sure if you would even notice it engage would ya? how fast were you able to haul 7k up that grade? what gear were you pullin in and what about your boost numbers. thanks>>>>brian

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
im not sure if you would even notice it engage would ya? how fast were you able to haul 7k up that grade? what gear were you pullin in and what about your boost numbers. thanks>>>>brian
you would notice it, its LOUD. also i wouldnt trust the gauge in the dash, of your conserned get an aftermarket numerical gauge

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea, you'll definitely notice when a fan clutch locks up, they get significantly louder. I was ably to keep it 60-65 most of the way up the grade leaning on it pretty hard. It was in 3rd (auto) running about 2700 or so if I remember correctly. I think the boost was about 14 psi most of the way. I do have a boost leak at the driver side plenum, I just haven' talked myself into yanking the turbo yet cause it sucks.

I wasn't really concerned about the engine temp so much, I just had it my mind the fan clutch was probably shot because it should have locked up tight by the time the gauge got that high. I was hoping to find someone that said something to the effect that "I tow with mine all the time and when my gauge hits the middle of the M my clutch locks in ..."

Edit: I just put a CAC on it this past weekend so I'm gonna load up the trailer and the Jeep and drag it around again this weekend to see how much it helped.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i did some hot rodding around today. the truck was empty but i was beating on it pretty hard, outside temp was around 80-85 and real humid, i dont know if that makes a difference but anyways, i have a numerical gauge my dash gauge crapped out bur anyways around 200* the fan was coming on every now and again, at around 205* the fan was constantly running at idle but kicked off by the top of 2nd gear (auto) by 210* it was running almost constantly. i dont know how these temps relate to the factory gauge but its a place to start, also i have the 195* thermostat

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
In my 3 7.3's the fan kicks on between 215*-217* shuts back off once it gets below 212*

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
they are but i pulled the fan clutch that is on my 450 off a a 97 one ton.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
well im sure no two are exactly the same but mine kicks on 10-15 deg sooner, that is pretty big difference

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
now that summer is her mine kicksin about 200 I have a 195 thermostat

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I'm gonna put a new clutch on it just to be safe when towing, any suggestions on where to get a reliable one?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm gonna put a new clutch on it just to be safe when towing, any suggestions on where to get a reliable one?
Keep in touch if you replace it. How it works or notice any differance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Maybe this help:
This is what I found in the repair manual. It' will take some specialized test equipment to do the test. If suspect the clutch is bad you should replace it. If it gets bad enough it can break and go through the radiator. The radiator shop in my area claims he gets quite a few damaged radiators from the fan clutch breaking. Most of them are ambulances or vehicles that set at idle a lot though.

Spin the fan. A light resistance should be felt. If there is no resistance or very high resistance, replace the fan clutch.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts