Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fan runs as soon as I start the truck and never shuts off. It does show a fan control circuit some time. Does anyone else have this issue. I dont know where to start.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know someone has had to have the same problems.

·
BIG BUCK HUNTER
66 Posts
I hadnt looked at mine yet, but is this a aftermarket electric fan or pulley mount fan? Pulley mount fans are notorious for having the fan clutch going bad. You can buy new fan clutches at any parts store and replace yourself.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I dont plow snow or pull a trailer. Where is the sensors to start checking before I move to the fan clutch?

·
BIG BUCK HUNTER
66 Posts
I hav never come across a sensor that would cause the fan to stay engaged. The fan clutch is nothing more than a coiled spring and sealed bearing. As with age and excessive heat, the spring fails to contract and tighten up. Thus causing it to stay locked up. I hate to say it, but almost guarantee your are in for a 2 hour repair.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot fellas I will look at it sometime this week

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's not your ordinary fan. It's a visctronic type fan (VDF) that runs at varying duty cycles based on an input from the PCM. There's also a sensor that provides speed feedback to the PCM. The PCM uses inputs like ECT, EOT, transmission temp, intake air temp, A/C load, etc.... to determine the duty cycle.

A bad sensor, erroneous input to the PCM, or short to ground on the actuator power circuit among other things can affect how the fan operates.

Does the fan run all the time with the A/C and defrost both off?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes this thing has never shutoff since I owned it. I will be honest with it being my first diesel I thought it rann all the time.

·
Administrator
32,962 Posts
Diesel mac nailed the system it's way more than a bimetallic spring

they had a TSB or Memo about a harness issues right at the top of the shroud but IIRC that would actually make the fan non responsive ?

usually a fan issue will also have a DTC associated with it

what temps are you seeing ?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
What do you mean by "the fan is on"? The fan will always turn. Mine is an 03 and my fan has only come on a handfull of times and every time it does it scares the HELL out of me. You know when they come on!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts