Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’ve read several dozens of threads over the last few days. Nothing that I’ve found is really relevant to my symptoms. So here goes...

After replacing the front cover, LPOP, bed plate seals, and getting it all back together I couldn’t get my truck to start. I ended up holding the oil filter drain valve closed and filling the HPOP reservoir through the filter stand pipe. When the oil level equalized i installed the filter and gave it one last opportunity to start. After a few seconds of cranking it started! It ran for a few seconds then died. It has done this now multiple times with the longest run time about 45 seconds. It would just idle down and die like you turned the fuel off, not like turning the key off. Hope that makes sense. A few times while running the ICP would go to 550-600 then surge back up to 1400-1500 instead of dying. Then my batteries went dead so I charged them and now it will not start. Now ICP climbs to 1400-1500 and ICPv goes to 1.63 IPR duty cycle at 39.1 but it just cranks without starting. All of the numbers are right as far as I can tell. I’m stumped .

Would this be a fuel problem, electrical problem, or an oil pressure problem? After my batteries charge a little I can post video of the scan gauge if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
When you can, please post (cranking) Sync, FICM Sync, FICM LPower, FICM MPower, rpms when you get a chance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you can, please post (cranking) Sync, FICM Sync, FICM LPower, FICM MPower, rpms when you get a chance.

It wouldn’t allow a video so here are screen shots of different times in the video. Earlier today I did have sync. I changed that to ICP so I’m not sure when the sync stopped.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Yeah, we need to see both Cam/Crank sync and FICM sync. Also need to see rpms when cranking (especially when there is some doubt about sync).

9.5V LPower when cranking is low.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
SYC is typically Cam/Crank sync and FSN is FICM Sync in scangauge language. We just need to know for sure!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning the ficm sync was a 1 and that’s when it would start and run. Now it’s a zero and won’t fire up. I can’t find the scan gauge parameters for the cam/crank sync. I will charge the batteries overnight and report back tomorrow.

Is it possible that the low batteries would cause it to not have the ficm sync and the low ficm logic voltage?

P.S. My wife just reminded me that before I repaired the oil leak and all the other stuff it was occasionally hard or long start. And actually died once while idling. Maybe that will help, I dont know.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Camshaft & Crankshaft in sync (1 = in sync, 0 = not in sync)
TXD: 07E02209CD
RXF: 0462050906CD
RXD: 3701
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: SYC

FICM SYNC
RXD: 3601
NAM: FSN (0=no or 1=yes)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Camshaft & Crankshaft in sync (1 = in sync, 0 = not in sync)
RXD: 3701
NAM: SYC

FICM SYNC
RXD: 3601
NAM: FSN (0=no or 1=yes)

Ok. I got it programmed and here’s some pictures. First one is while cranking. Second one it started and ran for a good 20 seconds. Third and fourth are while running after a third start. I wish I could post the videos. It’s doing about 300-400 rpm while cranking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also has a little miss but I had assumed it was working air out of the systems. Maybe it’s something of importance.

Update!

It just ran for about 3 minutes then died like I turned the key off. It seems like the batteries drained while it was running. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
It could be batteries but more than likely it’s a loss but if cam or crank signal or loss of icp pressure. I don’t see a battery light on while running so I would think the alternator is charging. THe batteries are definitely low charge them for a while. Not sure if it ran long enough for the glow plugs to shut off it may be when voltage is low

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could be batteries but more than likely it’s a loss but if cam or crank signal or loss of icp pressure. I don’t see a battery light on while running so I would think the alternator is charging. THe batteries are definitely low charge them for a while. Not sure if it ran long enough for the glow plugs to shut off it may be when voltage is low

Latest update. gotta laugh to keep from crying.

I unhooked the batteries, cleaned and reconnected them. (They are brand new but did it anyway). The truck fired up and died after about 45 seconds. I tried again and it started and ran for over an hour. The alternator finally charged the batteries to 13.4v and all was working swimmingly. I took her out for a drive to the gas station down the road and like an idiot turned it off out of habit I guess. So now it will not start. Everything is in sync and voltage is right. ICP is only going to 220-223. I’m letting it cool down to see if I can get back home but I my frustration is growing every minute. Lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know this is kinda off the rails of this post, but would the truck sitting on ramps with the front up make it start easier vs sitting flat?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Usually that is an indicator of a failing HPOP, or an HPOP suction o-ring that is bad.

Reactions: Chassintails
1 - 17 of 17 Posts