Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, the truck developed a slight squeak coming from the engine bay the other day. Pulled the belt, checked all the pulleys, the ribbed idler pulley had some play and was replaced. The noise got worse :doh:; now a loud constant squeal. Sounds like its either the PS pump or the vaccum pump. PS pump pulley shaft has about 1/4" play in and out, but none side to side. Is this normal? The vaccum pump has been spitting oil out of the top for about a year now; no play in the pulley, no hard brake pedal, no HVAC problems. Neither of them have ever been replaced as far as I know.

Truck is a 1997 f250 auto 259,000 miles. Idler pulley (smooth) and belt tensioner assembly (pulley, arm, spring, both bolts) replaced 1 year ago. Ribbed idler pulley new as of yesterday.

Im leaning more towards the vaccum pump being clapped out, but I figured I get a second opinion first. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
V pump is my guess never seen one leak oil. My PS pumps over the years have shaft play (in/out) so I would fret too much about that for now.

jrc

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I put in a new vacuum pump and the squeak is STILL there, though it is not very loud at all. At this point its between the water pump, power steering pump, or the a/c compressor. Opinions?
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opinions are expensive. A mechanic's stethoscope is cheap.
10-4, I hear ya on that one. The squeak is not very audible anymore, so next time I'm in town i'll stop by harbor freight. Hopefully they have a cheap one there.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
You can also try a old trick. If you have a screwdriver with a very long tang or a piece of metal rod that you can place on or near the pulley where you think the noise is coming from and then the other end on your ear you should be able to hear it louder when you get to the right one. If you use a metal rod place something over the end that you will put next to your ear so that you don't do something like poking it into your ear.

·
Registered
626 Posts
you can use any type of rod...metal, wood plastic...just need to transmit the vibrations to your ear...works amazing. Most people are very surprised how well it works.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally figured out where the noise is coming from. I drove the truck all week because the squealing ended up going away after a few miles. Cranked her up this morning and sure enough the noise was back at full volume, and also noticed a small spot of fresh coolant on the driveway (it's never leaked coolant). So with 260,000 miles on the clock, I think its safe to say the water pump is finally on its way out.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
What you might try is loosen the accessory drive fan belt then grab the fan and see if it wobbles. Earlier this last fall mine was leaking fluid, had been from late summer and I knew it was getting close to replacement time. Did the above and was shocked to find the fan had huge wobble.... Got it to local shop for change out right a way as I didn't have time. If it's leaking out of the weep hole then will be due for R&R. You don't wanna leave it too long if it's wobbly as it's usually the pump bearing that fails and if left too long the pump impeller can cut through the back of the front engine cover as it's aluminum.

jrc

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What you might try is loosen the accessory drive fan belt then grab the fan and see if it wobbles. Earlier this last fall mine was leaking fluid, had been from late summer and I knew it was getting close to replacement time. Did the above and was shocked to find the fan had huge wobble.... Got it to local shop for change out right a way as I didn't have time. If it's leaking out of the weep hole then will be due for R&R. You don't wanna leave it too long if it's wobbly as it's usually the pump bearing that fails and if left too long the pump impeller can cut through the back of the front engine cover as it's aluminum.

jrc
When I was replacing the lower idler pulley I checked everything for play, including the fan, but it had no play at all. And too It didn't start leaking until the other day, which is why I didn't think it was the problem until now. Also, I haven't been driving the truck for that very reason JCart. Just waiting for parts to get here, I figured I might as well throw on a coolant filter kit in process.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Where is the antifreeze coming from? If it's out the little hole on the water pump then it's due. Sometimes in really cold weather I've has the rad hoses leak at connection points too something you may wish to checkout. Coolant filter is always a good idea are you doing the IH pump with filter head on it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did look into a couple of write-ups on doing an IH water pump, but decided that im just going to stick with the stock pump and add the dieselsite filter kit. Which, by the way, i just got in the mail friday, and im very impressed. The parts seem to be of good quality and they include everything needed to install, even a roll of teflon tape and zip ties. Big thanks to the guys at dieselsite!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to tear it down in the driveway rather than drive it over to the shop, and im damn sure glad I did.....

How common is this? Because ive never heard of anybody actually have one cut all the way through the cover before.

Anyways, got everything put back together, flushed the system, and put the filter kit on. Just waiting for a lower radiator hose to come in and ill be ready roll.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just for future reference on the coolant filter kit:

I was unable to use the optional ball valves from dieselsite due to clearance issues. With the valve threaded into the filter head, and the 90 elbow then threaded into it, they stuck out over the battery by about an inch, so I just left them out. The batteries were the regular size ones, so you might be able to get away with it if you have the red or yellow top batteries (if im not mistaken they are smaller).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to mention this as well: the new lower radiator hose was a Dayco unit and fit like crap. I would definitely recommend a Napa hose instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
holy #### thats scary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts