Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a blown headgasket on one of my bosses trucks. I did three other of the shops trucks with bad headgasket before this one and had zero problems with them.
I got the heads tested and re-surfaced I used black onyx gaskets (18mm) and ARP head studs and cleaned block deck in the same manner as the other shop trucks I did.

One of the headgaskets is still leaking compression into the coolant!!!
I started it up and within a few minutes I could tell it was leaking...The heater hose and upper rad hose was swollen and tight to squeeze. I took it for a drive and you could hear it was gassing out the cap every few seconds.

What is the best way to test which head is leaking? I dont want to pull both again if I dont have to....

I pulled the glowplugs out and pressurized the coolant system for a few hours. I planned on unplugging the FICM and turning it over and hopefully the bad cylinder will push some coolant out the glowplug hole....
Any Other Ideas on testing which side?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cracked block, I always look over every cylinder real good when heads are off. It will be tough to see cause the cross hatching on the cylinder wall.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Are 6.0's sleeved?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cracked block, I always look over every cylinder real good when heads are off. It will be tough to see cause the cross hatching on the cylinder wall.

So..it did run through my mind when it was still leaking after the headgasket replacement...I have heard that they normally crack long ways down the cylinder??? is this true or when 6.0s crack they usually crack horizontally?

Is my manner of sellecting the gasket that is leaking the best??? By removing the glow plugs and pressurizing the coolant system for a few hours... and then turn engine over to look for coolant blowing out the glow plug hole?

·
PSN Local
586 Posts
Not trying to hijack, but it's possible to blow the head on a 6.0 with stock head bolts isn't it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may have gotten one...It already has a EGR delete and I did the oil cooler not to long ago at the same time. I hope its obvious to what the problem is when it comes back apart...I dont want to be guessing with all that work involved.

Here is one question about the "checking out the heads" I was told thay where vaccum tested, maglifluxed, and re-surfaced...But they never pulled the valves out. Is it possible to have a crack in a valve bowl that wouldn't show up with the valve closed? I'm wondering if it has a crack in a valve bowl that cant be seen with the valves in

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had a blown headgasket on one of my bosses trucks. I did three other of the shops trucks with bad headgasket before this one and had zero problems with them.
I got the heads tested and re-surfaced I used black onyx gaskets (18mm) and ARP head studs and cleaned block deck in the same manner as the other shop trucks I did.

One of the headgaskets is still leaking compression into the coolant!!!
I started it up and within a few minutes I could tell it was leaking...The heater hose and upper rad hose was swollen and tight to squeeze. I took it for a drive and you could hear it was gassing out the cap every few seconds.

What is the best way to test which head is leaking? I dont want to pull both again if I dont have to....

I pulled the glowplugs out and pressurized the coolant system for a few hours. I planned on unplugging the FICM and turning it over and hopefully the bad cylinder will push some coolant out the glowplug hole....
Any Other Ideas on testing which side?
My god man you have had 4 trucks with blown HG's? Please tell me you guys have like a 100 trucks?:eek:

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
My god man you have had 4 trucks with blown HG's? Please tell me you guys have like a 100 trucks?:eek:
fleet trucks take a beating, the guys that drive them generally don't care if the truck is running or not... atleast thats how it is here where i work, our drivers apply the pedal to the floor and leave it there until some goes durasticly wrong and the truck stops moving... then they proceed to bitch about it and tell the boss we need to get duramax's because they never break down :blah::blah::blah:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts