Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for pics and measurement of a factory roof rack. I am trying to see if I can put one on my OBS crew cab

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
The tracks are 84" long. The only thing I don't like about the Excursion roof rack is that the cross tracks are in contact with the roof so if you need to slide them to a different postion you need to be damn sure that there is no grit on top of your vehicle or the movable tracks will scratch the chit out of your paint. IMHO this is a better looking rack. http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa3/arbroofracks.htm

·
<--won't start
235 Posts
Are you talking about something like this, but smaller that goes over the cab?

I've been doing some road trips with some dirtbikes in the back of my truck and want to free up some space, so i've been mulling over the idea of a removable rack on top of the cab....

edit: guess i'm not paying attention (need more coffee) i now see that this is in the excursion section and you asked for factory specs...oh well, i still want one of those racks haha

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tracks are 84" long. The only thing I don't like about the Excursion roof rack is that the cross tracks are in contact with the roof so if you need to slide them to a different postion you need to be damn sure that there is no grit on top of your vehicle or the movable tracks will scratch the chit out of your paint. IMHO this is a better looking rack. ARB Roof Racks

Thanks Term3. Do you have any pics? Do you know if the ends come off that I could shorten the rails and put the ends back on? The one you put the link to is too big for my liking

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can the Ends come off?, so the tubes can be shortened?

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Can the Ends come off?, so the tubes can be shortened?
Yes, the ends are separate so you could cut the tracks to whatever length you want.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The factory X roof rack is 100% useless and will ruin your roof paint even if not used. The cross members rub the roof when at highway speeds. If I did it maybe use the outer main rails and then get a wilderness or other aftermarket rack that can hook onto that.

One of the very first things I always recommend to any new X owner is to remove the cross members ASAP and wash and get a good few coats of wax up there.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My idea was to mount the main rails UP ON the ribs in the roof giving me another 1/2" of clearance

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
The factory X roof rack is 100% useless and will ruin your roof paint even if not used. The cross members rub the roof when at highway speeds. If I did it maybe use the outer main rails and then get a wilderness or other aftermarket rack that can hook onto that.

One of the very first things I always recommend to any new X owner is to remove the cross members ASAP and wash and get a good few coats of wax up there.
I agree, this is the same thing I posted earlier. Those cross members came off my Ex the same day I bought it new. What a stupid design, I know the Ex was designed to fit in a standard garage but come on Ford another 1/2 inch would higher would have made this roof rack usable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How strong are the tracks? Strong enough to mount a substantial roof rack like the one shown earlier in this post, only larger?

Don't want to drill holes if I don't have to.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yes they are very strong when mounted along the outside as they are. I would bet you could load 1K lbs as long as the rack could handle it. There are a few rack makers that offer full length and width racks that will run the full length of the X roof starting say about middle of the front doors back to within a foot of the rear doors. Looks very nice and correct. The typcial short racks that are listed for the X IMO do not look correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts