Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if you can just buy the module to have remote start added to your truck, i see on the parts stuff that you can buy the harness, module and some sort of sensor, all for about 300 bucks, i would like to know more info and see how hard it would be to do it, i sure would like to have it this time of year and still use a factory key fob and stuff, my last truck had an aftermarket remote start and i didnt really like how it all worked. thanks for the input.

·
brandon
778 Posts
Best Buy has a remote start for 200 bucks if you are looking to save some money. I just had one put on my truck 2 weeks ago.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this on my Excursion a few years ago. I bought an unused Ford kit on Ebay. It works great, never had any issues.
did it pretty much plug and play? thats kinda what im looking for I will spend a little extra dough to have less work involved, i didnt like how i had to tie into the door locks and stuff on my 03, just something i cant see being reliable down the road...

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
No plug and play, that would have been nice though. If the connections are done right, there should not be any problems. I see where you're coming from and I'm the exact same way. I thought the Ford would be more plug and play but it wasn't.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No plug and play, that would have been nice though. If the connections are done right, there should not be any problems. I see where you're coming from and I'm the exact same way. I thought the Ford would be more plug and play but it wasn't.
Thanks brandon, i will look into it more, i just figured ford could easily tie into the factory key fob to unlock and lock the doors, and could make an easy t for the keyswitch part. My buddy had factory remote start on his 03 and it looked clean under the dash and it looked like things just plugged in.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
What years did ford start offering their remote start?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im pretty sure his truck was an 03, could have been dealer installed thou

I think some of them come from the factory but they might be dealer installed as well.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Did this with an 06. Wasnt offered from the factory. The dealer did it but it was like 700 total. I had the remote start with the alarm and everything. Just from having to deal with the current ford remote start. Id say save your money and go aftermarket. I wish I would have saved my money. The new "factory" system is way worse than the Ford Gold I had the dealer put on.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My F250 had remote start.. It was ordered that way. From what I've read they have a separate building next to the KTP that installs this kind of thing. I wasn't too happy with it, had a separate key FOB for the starter and didn't have very good range. Ford has 2 different types of remote starters, one that is the separate FOB and one that has all the buttons for your doors too. These are made by Code Alarm.

I had searched on this for info for the new truck and the best option I've found is a place called KC Autosound... The guy pre-wires the systems specifically for your Ford and provides instructions and has them setup to interface with your door keypad and any other options you desire. Supposedly most of the remote starts out there won't let you retain the door keypad. I'm going to be getting one from him soon so I'll let ya know how it works out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My F250 had remote start.. It was ordered that way. From what I've read they have a separate building next to the KTP that installs this kind of thing. I wasn't too happy with it, had a separate key FOB for the starter and didn't have very good range. Ford has 2 different types of remote starters, one that is the separate FOB and one that has all the buttons for your doors too. These are made by Code Alarm.

I had searched on this for info for the new truck and the best option I've found is a place called KC Autosound... The guy pre-wires the systems specifically for your Ford and provides instructions and has them setup to interface with your door keypad and any other options you desire. Supposedly most of the remote starts out there won't let you retain the door keypad. I'm going to be getting one from him soon so I'll let ya know how it works out.
I'm real interested in what you come up with also. I had a stick in my last truck so it was out of the question. I did buy one from Best Buy for my wifes Maxima. But because Nissan has auto door delay locking bullcrap and some other odd "auto" sensors it acts very weird at times. It did require a seperate operator, if you got out of the car while it was idling and closed the door it would lock auto on its own, If you unlocked while it was idling then start to pull up on the handle it would lock real quick...and some other quirks. But if you ask my wife it was the best upgrade she's had in a car..especially in Mid Winter and Mid Summer.

·
brandon
778 Posts
I know the one that i put in my truck has an option for a stick. But it was around $500 installed at best buy. It has a range of up to a mile and it works well. Has a little screen telling you what the temp is in your truck, if someone messes with my truck it tells me doors, hood, etc.. Really nice to go down to a warm truck in the winter. My wife's car had the factory remote start and it was crappy.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Is there anyway to install one of these if you have the factory remote system. I really am dissapointed.

·
brandon
778 Posts
i know mine overrides the factory system but not sure on the remote start

1 - 20 of 31 Posts