Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so everyone knows.. The factory down pipe can be removed in once piece. It took me two hours of fighting but it came out. I had to jack the trans up and pull it over to the drivers side. remove the trans dipstick and started wiring harness. I still don’t know if it was worth the trouble. I really do not see it going back in since I had to persuade it with a rubber hammer! The air intake, 5" exahust and tunner were a walk in the park to install!

·
Registered
373 Posts
You have more patience than the rest of us....lol. The 2 piece downpipe solve that issue!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
you can accomplish a lot with patience and a big fukn hammer....:)

·
MADE IN THE USA
324 Posts
with :whs: almost anything can be accomplished haha

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just so everyone knows.. The factory down pipe can be removed in once piece. It took me two hours of fighting but it came out. I had to jack the trans up and pull it over to the drivers side. remove the trans dipstick and started wiring harness. I still don’t know if it was worth the trouble. I really do not see it going back in since I had to persuade it with a rubber hammer! The air intake, 5" exahust and tunner were a walk in the park to install!
Since you ruined it why didnt you just cut it to begin with it would have taken 30 minutes or less?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
what is the benifit of going 4" down pipe ?? any Hp gains or better track times ??? Thinking of adding this and cold side pipe but dont know if it would benifit towards more power and better track times ! thanks for any help
Air flow my friend. Turbo charged diesel engines love air flow. When you increase air flow, you increase the efficiency. Going to a 4" downpipe give you a diameter increase of 1"....which is quite a bit. Slightly quicker spool up, better throttle response, and lower EGT's are expected. I recommend doing a the CAC pipe too. The factory one is very crimped where it passes through the core support.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
I thought the factory one was 4" but it was crimped down for clearance somewhere? Pretty sure the upgraded down pipes just eliminated that.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Good to know. Was unaware it was double walled in that fashion.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I think sean had a write up on how to remove without cutting as well. Regardless the 2 minutes or so it took me to cut the damn thing was worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.