Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was some talk at one point and I believe someone actually has done it. I recall the discussion the the F53 motorhome chassis hydroboost was still a bolt on to and OBS, the difference being the stud spacing for the master cylinder allows the original OBS 1 1/4 master cylinder to bolt on with out slotting the holes. Does anyone have the year or part # for the F53 hydroboost?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Doesnt superduty hydroboost pretty much bolt into a OBS? With just a few small mods?
I was planning to do it that way!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has been done but those that have commented they wish had just used the FSuperduty parts. It will work just need to mod the pedal pushrod, the firewall or mounting plate and figure out the lines/ hoses. If you have a SD steering box SD lines / hose will likely work but if you still have OBS steering box you will have metric/sae conversion to deal with.
Which ever way you go don’t forget to correct the pushrod to pivot distance either by using a FSuperduty pedal or moving the pin.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just finished my hydroboost conversion. I used the booster assembly from an F53. Part number is CU9Z-2005-A. Part number used to be 6U9Z-2005-A. With as good as my brakes work now I feel kinda of stupid for waiting so long. All lifted trucks with large, heavy tires should use hydroboost. The brakes don't work just a little bit better, it's a completely different experience.

If you can't find the correct brake pedal moving the pin on the pedal is easy enough.

Reactions: Garbage_Mechanic

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just finished my hydroboost conversion. I used the booster assembly from an F53. Part number is CU9Z-2005-A. Part number used to be 6U9Z-2005-A. With as good as my brakes work now I feel kinda of stupid for waiting so long. All lifted trucks with large, heavy tires should use hydroboost. The brakes don't work just a little bit better, it's a completely different experience.

If you can't find the correct brake pedal moving the pin on the pedal is easy enough.
Thanks for your reply!
So which master cylinder did you use? The 1 5/16 FSuperduty or the 1 1/4 original?

I have to agree braking is completely different like not the same truck. I did my 91 already, it was way worth it! Hauling a loaded trailer is no sweat now. If I did it again I think I might try the original 1 1/4 Mc, the 1 5/16 is pretty aggressive with drum rear brakes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
So which master cylinder did you use? The 1 5/16 FSuperduty or the 1 1/4 original?

I have to agree braking is completely different like not the same truck. I did my 91 already, it was way worth it! Hauling a loaded trailer is no sweat now. If I did it again I think I might try the original 1 1/4 Mc, the 1 5/16 is pretty aggressive with drum rear brakes.

Sorry I missed your message. I used the original master cylinder that came with the truck. I did not even disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder to do the hydroboost swap.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.....
Did you install a FSuperduty pedal with relocated pushrod pin (apx 2 3/4 c to c or were you one of the lucky ones that already had the needed pedal. If you didn’t change pedal did the pushrod line up square to the pedal? (On the vertical plane)
Thanks for getting back huge help!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.....
Did you install a FSuperduty pedal with relocated pushrod pin (apx 2 3/4 c to c or were you one of the lucky ones that already had the needed pedal. If you didn’t change pedal did the pushrod line up square to the pedal? (On the vertical plane)
Thanks for getting back huge help!
I moved the pin closer to the pivot point by 3/4"

Once the pedal assembly is removed, moving the pin looks really easy...

Just grind the weld off the backside that holds the pin in place...

Once the pin is out, mark the new pin location and then fill the old hole...

Drilled a 9/16" hole...

The pin slips into place easily enough...

Weld the pin on the back side just like Ford did and it's all done...

The brake light switch on my 1997 F350 did not fit after moving the pin. The automatic trucks have extra brackets under the dash that get in the way. I found out that the brake light switch from a 1995 F250/350 switch fits. There are lots of Ford vehicles that use this same switch. The switch from my 1997 is up top and the switch from the 1995 is below. The terminals come off of the 1995 switch at a 90 degree angle. The plug under the dash works with the new switch so you do not need to modify the harness...

I found the switch at O'Reilly...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lovedunes sent you a PM....So one last question....are the power steering hose ports in 2007 F53 hydroboost unit metric or SAE? Do FSuperduty hoses fit or did you have to do something else?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Lovedunes sent you a PM....So one last question....are the power steering hose ports in 2007 F53 hydroboost unit metric or SAE? Do FSuperduty hoses fit or did you have to do something else?

I never even thought about trying to use stock hoses. Unfortunately I don't remember the sizes and the invoice just says fittings.

I had new hoses made because I used an E350 power steering pump and a remote reservoir mounted out of the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lovesdunes, you got your booster from Ford? Do you have drums or discs in the rear? I just swapped in SD axles that have discs and I'm trying to decide if I need to up the volume in the MC or keep it stock.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Lovesdunes, you got your booster from Ford? Do you have drums or discs in the rear? I just swapped in SD axles that have discs and I'm trying to decide if I need to up the volume in the MC or keep it stock.

Hi. I did get the booster from Ford. I am running drums in the rear. I have heard mixed reviews about what will work best in your application. If you have SD axles why not just use SD brake components for the rest of the braking system? That way everything is designed to work together and takes all of the guess work about what you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I did get the booster from Ford. I am running drums in the rear. I have heard mixed reviews about what will work best in your application. If you have SD axles why not just use SD brake components for the rest of the braking system? That way everything is designed to work together and takes all of the guess work about what you need.
Well there are complications with the mounting stud spacing and hose fittings, mainly. You do bring up a good point though: I will look into what the MC volume and hydraulic "boosticity" of the SD components are.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well there are complications with the mounting stud spacing and hose fittings, mainly. You do bring up a good point though: I will look into what the MC volume and hydraulic "boosticity" of the SD components are.
Yes, the studs going through the firewall are different on the SD hydroboost units. With new OBS parts getting scarce, if I had not found out about the F53 unit, I would have modified my firewall to fit the SD booster. There will be support for new SD parts for a while I'm sure.

I could have bought a rebuilt hydroboost unit from any of the chain stores, but I have had some really bad luck lately with rebuilt parts. Brakes are fairly important so I paid the extra to have new stuff.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When using the F53 booster does the master cylinder still set level like stock or is it angled up? Some photos of the booster appear the mount plate is angled....

·
Registered
635 Posts
When using the F53 booster does the master cylinder still set level like stock or is it angled up? Some photos of the booster appear the mount plate is angled....

It's level.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts