Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys here’s what going through my head. I got my truck for dirt cheap a year ago and the transmission went out a few weeks ago. I’ve been wanting a bigger truck to pull skid steers and something nicer all around because of the amount of driving I do. My budget was 10k and I couldn’t find what I want in that price range. I want a 5 or 6 speed 4x4 with a flat bed so I can load pallets and other materials on easier. The truck used to get stuck all the time and I’m sick of that too. I decided it’d be cheaper if I just built what I want but I need help. I want to put an f-350 dually rear end under my f250 and put a flat bed on. After that I want to swap in a 5 speed. Then move on to interior and the 4x4 swap process. I guess what I’m asking is what’s the best route I should take? I’ve already taken the bed and rear end out as well as gutted the interior. Now step one is to find the flat bed and rear end. But as far as the 5 speed swap come into play, I’d need some pointers on what to look for and what to buy. Here’s the progress so far. The truck is a 1997 Ford F-250 2wd with 4.10s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,715 Posts
Cool, cant wait to see a flatbed design you come up with, I'm kind of a connoisseur when it comes to flatbeds!

·
PSN intsigator
6,608 Posts
Cool, cant wait to see a flatbed design you come up with, I'm kind of a connoisseur when it comes to flatbeds!
That's putting it mildly.

That's like sayin Mr. Gasket kinda knows how to make a gasket

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the truth, I just gave a guy a quote for $9500 for a custom bed. They ain't cheap!
I’ve been doing a lot of research on beds and I’m wondering if I can just build one myself. Just a basic flat bed with a headache rack for now. A little worried about it I’ve never done that kind of welding before. This truck is my 68c30 I’d be happy with a bed like that it’s basic but it looks like something I can pull off

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well I screwed up and bought this 1985 F350 with the 6.9 diesel for the rear end. A guy told me the rear axles were the same from 80-97 but turns out that wasn’t the case so I’m sorta stuck with it. It was only $200 but still. Anyway, it’s got what I’m guessing is a 5 speed manual Transmission in it but it’s missing the lever so I’m not 100% will this work in my 97? I sorta doubt it but figured I’d ask. The plan is to 5 speed 4x4 swap it but it would be cool to put this trans in it for now because my automatic is shot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The 83-87 trucks with manuals came with the T-19 4 speed. It is a granny gear transmission and tough as they come. I had one in my 83 F-250 6.9 and I loved it, it could pull a house over in granny gear. I think they were used in heavy duty applications like wreckers etc.Not sure how it will bolt up to your 7.3 or what parts you would need but if it can fit I would do it.

If you build a steel flat bed study up on the best steel shapes to use for strength without getting too heavy. Heavy steel can eat up your payload in a hurry.

PS My 83 2WD had a posi rear end with 4:10 gears which is probably why it could pull a house over, if the one you bought has a posi it should be easy to sell.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 83-87 trucks with manuals came with the T-19 4 speed. It is a granny gear transmission and tough as they come. I had one in my 83 F-250 6.9 and I loved it, it could pull a house over in granny gear. I think they were used in heavy duty applications like wreckers etc.Not sure how it will bolt up to your 7.3 or what parts you would need but if it can fit I would do it.

If you build a steel flat bed study up on the best steel shapes to use for strength without getting too heavy. Heavy steel can eat up your payload in a hurry.
The trans says zf on it but I’m not sure if it came in the truck. When I got to the guys house the trans was out but his listening had it still in the truck but he gave me it anyway. How do I tell if it’s a gas zf or the diesel?

·
Registered
455 Posts
BigB not all the diesels had the T-19. I had an 87 with a ZF5 in it. I'm not sure when they changed though.

Eric, Is the truck a diesel? If yes and it has the zf5 speed it will be a diesel 5 speed. As for the rear end... was the truck a dually? I had to switch out the rear end on my 87 and I used a rear end out of a 96 dually. I just had to remove the dually adapters and it was good to go.

Cj

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigB not all the diesels had the T-19. I had an 87 with a ZF5 in it. I'm not sure when they changed though.

Eric, Is the truck a diesel? If yes and it has the zf5 speed it will be a diesel 5 speed. As for the rear end... was the truck a dually? I had to switch out the rear end on my 87 and I used a rear end out of a 96 dually. I just had to remove the dually adapters and it was good to go.

Cj
Yes sir the truck was a dually. Unfortunately though, I can’t use it’s rear axle on mine it’s too narrow. A guy told me it would work but it sure didn’t. It was the whole point in buying it. Rookie mistake should’ve measured.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Interesting... they must have changed the offsets.. what is wrong with your axle? If they are both sterling axles you may be able to pull the good bits over. Is that the truck that also has the ZF5 in it?

·
Registered
309 Posts

Cj
Yes the chart I found shows that starting in 1987 you could get the ZF5 or the T-19. The earlier years only show the T-19 for the manual

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting... they must have changed the offsets.. what is wrong with your axle? If they are both sterling axles you may be able to pull the good bits over. Is that the truck that also has the ZF5 in it?
There’s nothing wrong with my axle. My truck is a 97 f250 2wd automatic. I run a Landscape company and we do a lot of skid steer work i use my 25’ Gooseneck to haul the skid steer and mini ex to jobs. My truck blew its transmission so I thought it was a good time to buy a bigger truck but the truck I want is hard to find and expensive so I figured I’d just build it. The plan was to put a dually rear axle under it and the bigger springs and put a flat bed on it. But I don’t want to go back to an automatic because I hated how it would shift. So I bought the 85 F350 for the rear axle but it’s too narrow the transmission it had was just a bonus if it’ll work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I placed a bid on this truck a few days ago because it has a zf5 in it and hopefully everything I need to 4x4 swap mine. I’ve herd a lot of bad things about the DRW Adapters so I thought it’d be safer to get a whole axle. What do you guys think?

·
PSN intsigator
6,608 Posts
That truck does not look like a dually.

·
PSN intsigator
6,608 Posts
Ok, but you no the dually rearends are longer than the SRW right

1 - 20 of 23 Posts