Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple threads on the issue of trailer bucking, but all seem to be under acceleration or over bumps. My main issue with the bucking is under braking.

I have an 08 F450. It will start to bounce to to the point that it feels like the back tires are coming off the ground and i simply cant stop the truck. once it starts, it will slowly disappear when i let off the brakes, but continue when I reapply the brake. there is times I have to come to a complete stop using nothing but the trailer brakes.

It happens on weights between 10 and 25k lbs and has happened on a few different trailers. The main one I pull is a 36' tandem dual gooseneck. I spent a day trying the weight in different places on the trailer with the same results each time.

It will happen under acceleration from time to time, and when shifting from 1st to 2nd. And when i hit some uneven pavement under braking, forget about stopping.

The truck is stock, I've added a ride rite airbag kit, and just bought some harder shocks to install. My last to options are, add a leaf and get a cousin coupler for the trailer.

I've been running about 10k km a month and would like to solve this before the snow falls. I;ve only had the truck about 3 1/2 months and may look into a dodge, as this seems to to common to the fords. I came from a 3500 duramax dually and never had this issue.

any insight would greatly be appreciated.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, trying to stiffen up the rear end with some leaves or getting an air ride hitch are almost two of the only things I can think of as well. I haven't heard much of any complaints regarding bucking with the new f450's, kinda strange.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Given your comment about the rear wheels coming off the ground and other symptoms, it sounds like you don't have enough weight on the trailer tongue. I tow with my F-350 PSD SRW and I don't get bucking, over dips, bumps etc.; so it's not symptomatic of Fords to buck while towing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No problems with17K trailer and 450--something else is wrong, don't think it is the truck, unless the brake controller not working correctly with the trailer.
Joe

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
get used to it LOL, from what ive learned with a heavy enough load its gonna buck

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
my dads 2010 f250 was having a similar problem but his was mostly under acceleration and if you go over a bump in the road it gets to the point where it could possibly shatter a U joint! he took to our local dealer and had the latest update put in the truck hoping it would change it but he hasnt had a trailer on yet to see if it helped any.

·
Registered
269 Posts
wonder if it has to do with the lenght of the trailer... i have pulled a JD7410 aprx 15k on a 25(total deck and beaver) gooseneck aprox 6k empty and only had buck issues( under cruise) if the tractor was to far back. it did matter with as little 3 inches, dad and i spent the day moving and test driving and marked the trailer. this was with a 350 srw with a leveling kit and 33toyo's i can't imagine that a 450 could be worse than that..have you tried breaking without the trailer brakes? just the truck and see if the problem follows that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i replaced the shocks, and it had helped a bit, but i think my best fix will be adding a leaf or too. before the air bags, even 10 to 12k would sag the back end more then my 3500 duramax. Im not sure about the 3 leaf system on the 450's so i'll add a couple more.

·
401 Posts
I have never had bucking while braking towing upwards of 18000# and stock rear suspension and it doesnt sag, just levels the truck out.
I can get the truck to do it a little, but it is from the tune locking the TC early and trying to stay around 35 mph with light throttle. If I give it any more throttle it is gone.
What is the pin weight of the trailer maybe it is not enough with comparison to the total weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I put a set of overloader springs, some stiff shocks in the back and added a cushion coupler on the trailer. Made a huge difference. Any bounce in the trailer is now controllable and really dependent on weight distribution.

I have tried a few different trailers and the problem is pretty much gone with any other trailer. I guess that means to geometry is off on mine.

thanks for the help and input

·
oconnors17
193 Posts
My truck is a scsb f350 and I got in a accident and I am sure my rear end got messed up I got hit hard enough to break a rim in half. Before this my truck rode smooth with and with out a trailer now with a trailer loaded or unloaded it feels like I have a wheel out of ballance. I guess my point may be something a little off on yours from the factory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts