Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was refereed to come over here as I'm told there is a wealth of knowledge and can't tell you enough (Thanks!!) in advance for any insightful information that can help solve my problem!!!

So I just purchased my ideal truck 2 1/2 weeks ago... 2002 F350 CC LB 7.3 - super clean 1 owner out west truck. Rust free - 100% bone stock since the day it was new. 124,000 miles.

I have an extreme lack of power and is frustrating the crap out of me and draining me financially, mentally and time spent. When I say lack of power -- it won't pull my camper over 60mph when it running crappy.
I'm a very mechanically inclined person but this is my first diesel and over the last few weeks I've absorbed a ton of information.

Here is the issue-- the truck will run great for short durations 1-10 miles then it will fall flat on its face -- not die / stall or anything like that. Just no power.
One issue surfaced -- before I drove back from Utah to Michigan, I paid to have the oil / fuel filter changed so I new a starting point for maintenance. After putting 3500 miles on it and thousands of dollars trying to fix this issue I found out the mechanic put conventional 5w30 in it.

Here is a list of the things I've done / had done / or.......
It has been scanned a LOT and have chased numerous codes that are now gone -- high-low on certain cylinders, etc.
Turbo pulled & inspected - no dusting or play
Pedestal was pulled to fix an oil leak -- deleted the EBV
All 8 injectors were rebuilt
I just replaced 2 of those with brand new ones because I kept seeing high - low codes on #3 & #7.
Before that I replaced the PS UVCWH and gasket.
New Cam sensor
New Oil sensor
I've swapped ECM & IDM from another identical year truck to verify mine are good. Mine worked great in his and his worked great in mine for 1 mile and then fell on its face.
I ran a fuel pressure gauge for 3 days and never saw a pressure below 56psi - running god and bad pressure was still there. I had it "spliced" in right after the fuel pump because I had disconnects to make a tee.
All turbo lines are in good condition - cleaned, inspected
There is no catalytic on my truck
HPOP and lines were replaced Oct 09 at a ford dealership for the previous owner.
Wastegate work perfectly
The oil has been changed 3 times to make sure all the old crap was flushed out.
Changed Map sensor
Swapped out IPR & ICP from a truck that was running great
Buzz test / contribution tests --- etc etc
Starts great / idles great
I don't think this is heat related because my truck can be hot and if I unplug the ECM / IDM or some of the sensors -- etc, I assume it drops the default / defueling setting and then it runs great again only for a short duration.

It had a 1248 code - low or no boost originally
1316 -- Which was referring to the individual cylinders that had injector issues.
Friend scanned it again for the 50th time now and check for body codes and found....
B1359 - which the only info I can get is the generic statement "Ignition Run accessory fault".
Do you think this could be a culprit for this issue?

Lately I've be talking with Jody at DP Tuner -- can't say enough good about his customer service. I'll definitely be doing business with him once this is figured out.

I’ve had this a Ford dealership and they diagnosed the turbo pedestal spring was broken. I simply unhook the linkage – wired the EBV open & closed to see if there was any difference. None
It’s been to a diesel specialty shop and we spent 18hrs straight myself and two diesel tech working on it.
Also been to one other Diesel shop with no insight
It was at a auto electric specialty shop where they tested all of the wiring harness between the IDM and UVCH – good.

I'm strongly considering purchasing autoenginuity asap so I can scan "real time" myself.

If you have an idea --- let me know. I'd love to have my new truck usable.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Well first off..........WELCOME!

Have you had the scan tool on the truck while it is acting up?

I am curious what boost, ICP, IPR, PW numbers are while this is happening.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well first off..........WELCOME!

Have you had the scan tool on the truck while it is acting up?

I am curious what boost, ICP, IPR, PW numbers are while this is happening.
oooohhh -- my second post.

I have had that but I don't recal exactly what those values are. I just sent a message to the shop I lived at last friday. I know he said everything was ok but I want the real values also.
The scanner I have access to will not give me those values -- hence why I think I just going to buy one.

I do remember at a wot free rev it had approx 2800psi

What is PW?

I see your in Alaska -- I've considered taking some "tours of duty" up there. The family wasn't to thrilled about that though.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Just revving it up with no load is useless.

PW= Injector Pulse Width, basically how long the injector is being asked/told to inject fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a copy off my invoice from the shop I was at last friday.

ENGINE HAS NO POWER, CHECK AND FIX. ENGINE HAS A SLIGHT MISS AT
IDLE, AND A MISS UNDER ACCELERATION.
- SCANNED, SHOWED CYLINDER 3 CONTRIBUTION ERROR. HIGH
PRESSURE OIL WAS SLOW TO BUILD, ALSO SHOWED AN IDM ERROR.
NOTICED THAT HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP HAD BEEN REPLACED, THE IPR
VALVE HAD NOT. MOST LIKELY DONE IN THE PAST TO TRY AND FIX THE
LOW POWER ISSUE.
- ENGINE ALSO HAS AN OIL LEAK FROM BACK OF TURBO PEDISTAL.
REPLACED BOTH SETS OF TURBO PEDISTAL O-RINGS
- REMOVED AND INSPECTED INJECTORS. 2 HAD BEEN REBUILT IN THE
PAST, BUT HAD THE WRONG PLUNGER AND BARRELS INSTALLED.
SWAPPED PLUNGERS FOR THE CORRECT UNITS. OIL VALVES WERE
SCORED, REBUILT ALL INJECTORS
- RESTARTED AND TEST DROVE. MISS WAS GONE, ENGINE WAS STILL
LOW ON POWER. IDM CODE WAS STILL BEING SET. REPLACED IDM,
POWER CAME BACK, BUT WAS STILL ERRATIC.
- SWAPPED ICP SENSOR AND IPR VALVE. DID NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.
- COMPUTER IS STILL SHOWING A CONTRIBUTION ERROR ON CYLINDER
3. NOTICED THAT OIL WAS UNUSUALLY THIN, RECOMMEND CHANGING
ENGINE OIL AND FILTER. COMPUTER ALSO STILL HAD AN IDM CODE,
WIRING HARNESS WILL NEED TO BE INSPECTED.
- JOB WAS RUNNING LATE, CUSTOMER NEEDED TO GET BACK HOME,
TRUCK WILL HAVE TO BE BROUGHT BACK AT A LATER DATE TO FINISH
REPAIRS/DIAGNOSTICS

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I see your in Alaska -- I've considered taking some "tours of duty" up there. The family wasn't to thrilled about that though.
That is the reason I am up here, Dad was military and they shipped us up here.

Well I ended up staying when they shipped them off to the next base.:D

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
whats fuel pressure like?

I have a scan gauge and I know of one member on here that is in michigan that has AE not sure if will got his yet.

for whats its worth we will prolly be having another monthly get together on april 17th in howell

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I ran a fuel pressure gauge for 3 days and never saw a pressure below 56psi - running god and bad pressure was still there. I had it "spliced" in right after the fuel pump because I had disconnects to make a tee.

Seems ok.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
well like I said and like cat posted in your other thread, try and get to our michigan get together.... we will have enough powerstrok guys there to help ya out

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Just for ####s and giggles, have your alternator tested. When mine went out, it did all kinds of weird things. One of those being extremely low power if I turned on the headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well like I said and like cat posted in your other thread, try and get to our michigan get together.... we will have enough powerstrok guys there to help ya out
I will but I surely hope this is fixed by then. I doubt I can take another 2 more weeks of the crap. Hopefully it will be to come down for fun.

Just for ####s and giggles, have your alternator tested. When mine went out, it did all kinds of weird things. One of those being extremely low power if I turned on the headlights.
I've heard of weird alternator problems - guess I over looked it because it is a fairly new one. But I will have it tested - I'll pull it off shortly and hopefully I can find somewhere open today.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Unless I missed it somewhere, I did'nt see what the EBP was reading? I see he deleted the valve, but what is the sensor reading?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless I missed it somewhere, I did'nt see what the EBP was reading? I see he deleted the valve, but what is the sensor reading?
When you say the EBP -- I assume that's the sensor that has the small tube running off the front of the passenger side manifold. I did remove the tube and inspect it -- clean as can be but I don't have the value either........
I really need to get autoenginuity ASAP.
Does anyone know if I buy it online -- can I download it immediately? Actually that doesn't help because I still need the patch cord.

To elaborate on this.
This problem was occurring before the ebv was deleted. Since I was taking off the pedestal to fix the oil leak and inspect the turbo further a couple weeks ago I decided to eliminate the actuator rod & spring assembly and removed the butterfly assembly from the turbo and plugged the bottom of that also.

I simply did not plug back in the sensor because doing that will restrict the oil flow to the turbo. So I constantly have a ebv code which I'm told will not change the engine performance.

I'm ordering a ebv eliminator wiring plug in from this place in the morning just so I don't have the code showing up. http://www.ronstruckandauto.com/performance/Ford_73/73accessories.html

·
Registered
579 Posts
+1

when my alternator started to die it would also kill the engine when I applied the trailer brakes.. and towing the trailer power was pretty spotty at best. But I was also getting a batt light when my alternator was dieing...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had it tested today, loaded / un loaded / starting / full accesory load .. etc. It tested out perfect.

Before I left the auto parts store I also unplugged the oil temp sensor and ac compressor and plugged them back in.... why ...... I don't know, just because.

When I left it ran like a top for a coupe miles. So I thought to myself maybe it had something to do with unplugging either the oil sensor or the ac compressor. So I stopped numerous time and unplugged and re plugged back in each of those two together and individually. Nothing made sense - there was no evident pattern.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts