Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off if anyone has done this or has pictures/pointer/anything to help me out let me know. I have seen another members setup and it was just too cluttered for my liking... I have also seen a setup in the turbine housing but from what I have read/heard that could/could not be a good idea. I have seen dual wastegates in the exhaust manifolds and that just seems too expensive and might be a real pain in the ass to plumb it all back to the down pipe. So if anyone has any pointers please either post them here or if you don't want people to know send me a PM and I won't release the information.

Well I am about to start to tackle an external wastegate setup on my 38r. I am trying to figure out what I need to order before my engine gets back form the machine shop so we can start fitting it all. I am unsure of pretty much everything about it but do have an idea that I might do for this. I have DI up pipes so I was thinking about welding a pipe at the merge point where the two pipes meet... like a 1.750 pipe. Then I was going to run the pipe with a roughly 90 degree angle towards the down pipe which will come over the down pipe just past the v band clamp and then the pipe would turn toward the front of the engine. The wastegate would then be attached where it would lay flat and be supported by a brace attached to the passenger valve cover. My thought behind this is that it would allow the turbo and down pipe to still be taken off with ease because all of the pipes are out of the way. The discharge of the wastegate would then turn at roughly a 90 degree angle back to the down pipe and would then be welded to the down pipe.

Here is a very crude picture of what I am thinking:

Is this possible?

Also have a few questions about actually doing a wastegate:

-What kind of tubeing is necessary? Would 16 or 18 gauge from summit racing work?
-Should I incorporate a flex pipe somewhere?
-Are there any flanges available that will seal properly? I am thinking of doing one right next to the down pipe so I can still get it in and out easily?
-Is a 44mm wastegate a good size? Smaller/bigger?
-What size springs should I use? I would like it if there was a way for the wastegate to bleed off anything that is over 1:1.. Is this possible? For example if I am getting 10psi intake but 12 psi exhaust can I bleed off the 2 psi but be able to do more when numbers hit 40 intake/60 exhaust?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I have seen those pictures but I know the t-4 mount sits lower then the factory style up pipe.... which then allows enough room for the wastegate ontop of the housing. I think I am going to have to have the wasetgate in a different location.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Your location looks like a total pain in the ass to do. When wastgating the stock style turbo setup its easiest to cut a enlongated oval into the front of the turbine housing you can see from the front of the truck and have it tig welded on properly to cast. Does the cross drilled stock wastegate not work enough?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your location looks like a total pain in the ass to do. When wastgating the stock style turbo setup its easiest to cut a enlongated oval into the front of the turbine housing you can see from the front of the truck and have it tig welded on properly to cast. Does the cross drilled stock wastegate not work enough?
No stock wastegate... 38r with 1.15 housing being fed by 250cc/100% injectors

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
You might consider doing a crossover pipe underneath the truck, then gating that. I dont see how you are going to have enough room up top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts