Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this to a double din using the rear usb outlet? if so how'd it work I was thinking about hiding it in the glove box but havin all the songs handy

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I haven't done it personally but. I know it has been done. Biggest thing will be the usb power that your hu puts out to power the hd. This will determine how big of an hd you can run, as long as the hu's software will handle it.

What head unit do you have?

·
Registered
480 Posts
hmmm never thought of that... good idea.... you could also get a external HD that has its own power supply and use a inverter to power it...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I had a 10gb flash drive hooked up to my Pioneer DEH-P4100DVD. I was able to listen to songs, view pictures and videos with it!

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
iPod = external hard drive.

Since most HU's have a way to hook up an iPod why not go that route for ease of install ?

Put all your music on it as Apple Lossless files and you're good to go.

Standard bit rate is what ? 156 or something ?
My lossless files are all 850-1100

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
iPod = external hard drive.

Since most HU's have a way to hook up an iPod why not go that route for ease of install ?

Put all your music on it as Apple Lossless files and you're good to go.

Standard bit rate is what ? 156 or something ?
My lossless files are all 850-1100
What exactly is a lossless file?

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Basically all the music's information is there as intended instead of removing bits of it to compress the file.

If you use iTunes you can go in and convert your existing library to lossless files one at a time...then delete the 156 bit original....or you can import CD's as lossless files instead of 156 bit.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Cool, I just found it in preferences, never knew that. Just tested it out and my 320kbit song became a 980! I'm gonna upload it and see if I can tell a difference in quality...

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
That's up to you...but ALL an iPod is is an external hard drive.
You can use it on a computer as one too...store anything you want on it.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Basically all the music's information is there as intended instead of removing bits of it to compress the file.

If you use iTunes you can go in and convert your existing library to lossless files one at a time...then delete the 156 bit original....or you can import CD's as lossless files instead of 156 bit.
Cool, I just found it in preferences, never knew that. Just tested it out and my 320kbit song became a 980! I'm gonna upload it and see if I can tell a difference in quality...

ya lost me.......:confused:

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
ya lost me.......:confused:
Music off iTunes/iPods sounds like crap because it's such a low bit rate. Save the music at a higher rate and it sounds like it should...CD quality if not better in some cases.

Apple Lossless is the best you can get...ALL of the music is there.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
yea it would prolly be easier an made for bouncing around I just dunno what HU to go w/ now lol
I like my pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, it's a little slow at times but it has 4v preouts with lots of adjustability.
Music off iTunes/iPods sounds like crap because it's such a low bit rate. Save the music at a higher rate and it sounds like it should...CD quality if not better in some cases.

If it was already compressed to 320 like mine was, is it really gonna sound better going to 980, how would it gain missing bits back?

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts

....... ok... i found it finally. Now i gotta decide if i wanna go through all these damn songs and do that......LOL

Sweet!! If you select all you can still do it!! Now i just gotta wait for all of them do

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
....... ok... i found it finally. Now i gotta decide if i wanna go through all these damn songs and do that......LOL
You can highlight all of them, right click and hit convert to lossless. Then after it is done all your compressed ones will still be highlighted, you can then right click and delete, in one big step:D

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
If it was already compressed to 320 like mine was, is it really gonna sound better going to 980, how would it gain missing bits back?
I assume it finds the original online and fixes it but I'm not sure. Listen to a 156 and a 950-1000 bit song back to back on a good system though....it's worth it.

I have over 2500 Lossless songs on mine now.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
You can highlight all of them, right click and hit convert to lossless. Then after it is done all your compressed ones will still be highlighted, you can then right click and delete, in one big step:D
LOL i was editing my last post as you were.. i found that.

Thanks. Learn something new everyday

1 - 20 of 42 Posts