Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a bad temp for the turbo if you have the pyro after the turbo?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Like stated above need to be installed preturbo. Seems like I read somewhere on here that post turbo readings could range anywhere from 100-600 degrees off depending on how far down the pipe they were and current turbine speed pushing air.

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is an inch away from the turbo.
Just wondering cause while towing my Jeep today it seems like i was having power issues. She was struggling going up small hills it seemed like

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you guys mount your sensor before the turbo?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Drill and tap the exhaust manifold

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
307 Posts
Most of us install it on the driver side exhaust manifold, it really easy area too get too, but if you want the best reading IMHO is too mount it in the "Y" pipe right at the turbo that's where both side of the exhaust come together. The reason you want it pre-turbo is the gases are hotter because they are under more pressure, and pressure=heat. You have less pressure (lower temp) after the turbo because the gases exiting the turbo have lost pressure, so a probe mounted after the turbo is not as accurate as pre-turbo. I believe Bank's has a test of EGT's pre and post turbo, and you will see the difference's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have both pre and post pyros. Pre and post are about 400 difference on my setup. I have my pre in the driver side manifold. Just crawl under there and look up. Very very easy to get to. Mine is right before the collector but in in line with the exhaust port of the number 4 cylinder.

My post is 2-3" away from the turbo in a 4" down pipe.

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what happens if you get your turbo to 1200? Loss of power?

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK i am gonna move my sensor on saturday.
What would make my truck lose power and feel like its bogging?
I still had max boost cause it would go into it when it would down shift just felt like it didn't have the power to pull hills.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
There's a lot of variables. Dirty air, oil, fuel filters, low fuel pressure, clogged fuel sending unit screens/socks, boost leak, exhaust leak, worn injectors, weak hpop, etc...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
From what I was told, 1250 PRE turbo is the limit.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Yall haven't been in a truck with big injectors then. Now keeping it at a safe level, those numbers are pretty accurate, but going down the track, you will see a lot higher egt's unless you do a lot of fine tuning, right turbo, etc...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i meant 1250 for a stock unit

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Yall haven't been in a truck with big injectors then. Now keeping it at a safe level, those numbers are pretty accurate, but going down the track, you will see a lot higher egt's unless you do a lot of fine tuning, right turbo, etc...
Its about heat soak, not the over all peak temp.

Your truck is not going to blow up and scatter the first time you go above 1300*...

If your running around empty at 600-700* and someone wants to play, you could go over 1300-1400* for a minute or more without issue...

If your towing heavy all day at 1000* and go to pull a big grade, its going to cause damage alot quicker, but even then its not an some magic switch that scatters rods and pistons across the road.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Its about heat soak, not the over all peak temp.

Your truck is not going to blow up and scatter the first time you go above 1300*...

If your running around empty at 600-700* and someone wants to play, you could go over 1300-1400* for a minute or more without issue...

If your towing heavy all day at 1000* and go to pull a big grade, its going to cause damage alot quicker, but even then its not an some magic switch that scatters rods and pistons across the road.
I fully understand it joe, maybe I just didn't explain it well enough. What makes sense in my head, doesn't always come out of my head in a way that makes sense. Make sense?

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can someone post a picture of their sensor in their driverside manifold? I am going to move it today but i am wondering if the sensor will fit and not touch the otherside of the pipe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.