Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into getting an exhaust for my truck (03 6.0l). My question is, i have to keep my converter for emissions testing so is there any point in a cat back? Or should i just get a straight through muffler and call it a day?

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
looks will be your main benefit but I think a 5" straight pipe after the cat would sound nice and possibly lower your egts a hair

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
I would go with a full exhaust, just get a cat delete pipe. That gives you the option to run the cat or take it off.

-French

·
Still learning
368 Posts
I started with an AFE Cat back. I am now turbo back. When I went to turbo back my egt's went down, whistle got louder and I did not notice any performance gains. I think I read a while bck that you only gain 3 - 6 hp by removing cat.
I think it all depends on what you would like to do in the future. 4 inch turbo back is good for 500 hp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to free up a bit of power and maby gain some mpg. I have to keep the cat because if i get pulled over and its not there my truck will get taken off the road. I was looking at the MBRP cat back but just figured if there were no gains i mite as well save some cash and just get a hollow muffler and a big tip

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Where do you live that your truck is going to be impounded on the spot without a cat? You can always just hollow out the cat too, so it appears that it's on there, but there is nothing inside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Ontario, Canada. Cops do roadside safety checks from time to time. I|f they find anything the vehicle is gone

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
Where do you live that your truck is going to be impounded on the spot without a cat? You can always just hollow out the cat too, so it appears that it's on there, but there is nothing inside.
:whs: Plus you could always upgrade to a 4" or 5" diesel cat to go along with you 4" or 5" turbo back exhaust. Keep in mine the down pipe will only be 3 1/2" or 4".

·
Word
608 Posts
MBRP 4" Turbo back exhaust, the downpipe on almost all 4" systems measure 3.5" for clearance issues...a 5" system is a PITA to get in due to firewall clearance and it WILL rub on the firewall from time to time....you can run your CAT with a turbo back system, just simply bolt it back inline with your exhaust....the Turbo back system will eliminate the trap in your downpipe also...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts