Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 5in exhaust on my truck for about a month now and it has ratteled since i put it on. I just got around to fixing it but i only found one place that it rubbed and i fixed that, but it still rattles/vibrates like a SOB. The exaust isnt touching anywhere so what should i do now. The exhaust is the economy straight piped 5in from performance truck products.

The only thing that i can see is that the exhaust is just shaking/vibrating and making noise but i havent got any idea how to solve this.

What do yall suggest?

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
weld as many joints together, check your hanger locations. If your making noise something is either loose or hitting the frame.

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
as stupid as it sounds, try holding the exhaust in different places when you first start it and see if it stops. i have seen exhausts be too "light" once the muffler and everything else has been removed and there isnt enough weight keep everything tight against the rubber hangers...just a thought! :D

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
is it hanging by all the factory rubber hangers?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Add a hanger, new rubber hangers...shrugs

·
Registered
49 Posts
i would try a 3/4in heater hose wrapped around plumbers tape...or a layer of fiberglass weave strip or exhaust wrap under the plumbers tape self taping sheetmetal screwed to the frame with some type of rubber insulator at the frame mounting point

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Get back under there and pay close attention where the pipe after the downpipe goes thru the trans cross member. My pipe hit one of those crossmember bolts, that will rattle like hell, anoying. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Get back under there and pay close attention where the pipe after the downpipe goes thru the trans cross member. My pipe hit one of those crossmember bolts, that will rattle like hell, anoying. Let us know what you find.
Same here when I had a rattle and it was the trans crosss member. It was like about 1/8 from the bolt in the cross member. But when I run the truck it rattles at times. When I installed my ww and turbo o-rings I reajusted the down pipe and that fixed it for good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also on some of the hangers there might be a washer and then a pin or clip. The washer will rattle around on mine and it can be surprisingly loud.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take a look at the Heat shield. It's located underneath the cab area, make sure its not touching the exhaust pipe, and causing the rattling that your hearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts