Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I eliminated cause for a miss down to being mechanical, right side, cylinder #1, exhaust related. So I pulled the head and found that the lifter would not pull out of the block.

Out of all 8 lifters on that side, the #1 exhaust lifter would rotate and move in and out a little by hand, with the keeper on. Once the keeper was off, the intake lifter pulled out with a magnet, but the exhaust lifter would not pull out and required a lot of force from an EZ Puller.

Intake lifter has some scoring on both sides (3000miles on the engine/lifters), but the exhaust lifter had much more scoring, and only on one side.

There is a square wire snap ring on the top of the lifter that is deformed (looks like a factory defect) and is not in the correct spot.

The push rod was unaffected.

So far, I'm thrilled to have FINALLY found something.

What could have caused this? What else could have been damaged by this thing? What else should I look for?

A bad lifter....WOO HOOO!!!!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
All I have to say, is I give you credit for sticking with it. I would of sold that truck a LONG time ago with all the problems you have had with it

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I've had what seems like a lot of trouble (and it was), but it boils down to just a couple parts causing all the headaches. I'm thinking this little lifter itself has cost me dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars in unnecessary experimentation.

I'm going to pull all the lifters on that side and inspect them. I found a small burr on the top of the stuck lifter, on the neck that holds down the roller. It looks like it was dropped prior to installation.

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
Wow... Lucky find... and that it was only a burr.

Mine along those lines was the roller's pin came loose and the pin was hitting the bottom end of the bore, stopping the lifter from going up... Tore that one up a bit = It was not salvageable. The pin had wore a slot in the bottom side of the lifter bore. Just to get it out, took it being pulled apart and the roller's pin pushed over/back into the lifter, from the far side.

Is your's salvageable? (You said most of the damage was on the lifter itself and not the lifter bore, so I have finger's crossed for you.)

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say for sure if the lifter bore had any damage, but I don't think so. I slid another oiled lifter in that bore and it went in and out with no problems, and no strange oil lines on it when it came out.

The bad lifter would not fit in another hole. All other lifters are OK. Cam is good.

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah 910 springs. Smith Bros push rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.