Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '01, I have had an '01 7.3 f250 before but it's been 5 years. I just want to know if I would really gain anything going from my stock 3" exhaust with no muffler or anything, to an aftermarket 4" with everything delete? Also since I won't be really pulling a lot with it, would I really gain much from going with a performance air filter in the stock box, against an entire cold air intake system? Thanks in advance.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
let me tell you, if you want your x to sound good, i would advise you to go with 5 inch straight pipe! just for the deeper sound!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me tell you, if you want your x to sound good, i would advise you to go with 5 inch straight pipe! just for the deeper sound!
I'm not really thinking sound, but I agree deeper is better. What I am wondering is performance/economy reasons. I know removing the muffler on my stock exhaust will help with mileage. But what I want to know is, will going with a bigger, more expensive system, gain me anymore than a stock size open exhaust?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not really thinking sound, but I agree deeper is better. What I am wondering is performance/economy reasons. I know removing the muffler on my stock exhaust will help with mileage. But what I want to know is, will going with a bigger, more expensive system, gain me anymore than a stock size open exhaust?
5" will not fit IF you plan to run it all the way out the back. It hits between the rear shock and the fuel tank. I've heard that even the 4" is tight, but will work.
I will say yes on the exhaust. If you do a 4" Turbo back kit, it will help with the performance. And yes, new intake as well. This is assuming you have a chip or programmer of some sort that has added horse power. If it's bone stock, I wouldn't waste my money on either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5" will not fit IF you plan to run it all the way out the back. It hits between the rear shock and the fuel tank. I've heard that even the 4" is tight, but will work.
I will say yes on the exhaust. If you do a 4" Turbo back kit, it will help with the performance. And yes, new intake as well. This is assuming you have a chip or programmer of some sort that has added horse power. If it's bone stock, I wouldn't waste my money on either.
Currently stock but I plan to do everything at once when I have the money. I just wanted to know if it was worth the extra money to go with 4" with no muffler over the stock 3" with no muffler, and the full intake system over a drop in performance filter. If I really don't gain much with the 4" and the intake system I am not going to waste my money.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
It actually depends. The main restriction is the muffler next is the downpipe. On a stock or stock with chip I really do not think you will see much of anything going to a 4" versus a stocker with no muffler. The stock air filter box sucks and many times leaks and breaks so I would change it out just for those reasons alone. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "much gain" If you are thinking 25-50 HP I say no way. Maybe 10 HP- 15HP compared to no muffler stock and running a aftermarket air intake. If you towed heavy it could be worth if from EGT standpoint alone but since you say that's not a priority.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess by gain I mean just simple air flow differences and mileage gains between doing a full 4" exhaust and air intake deal to just a drop in aftermarket filter and taking out the muffler on the stock 3". Both situations I will have a chip.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Best option a Tryar intake, I'd be careful with any exhaust mods on a Excursion as you can get drone ..

If you add a chip you must get guages..

We can get you a package on all thats needed..PM me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts