Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2005 Excursion, it now has 44000 miles on it. I just had all the motor work in my signature done. I think the motor is good, would like to get a powermax and inspectors, but first I got to do something.g about the handling done on this thing. It is downright scary on the interstate. I just got back from a 1600 mile trip and my hands hurt from gripping the wheel so hard. Whenever I hit a bump it is like the truck gets squirly from side to side, it is almost feels like pulling a trailer with heavy tail weight, but it was. with no trailer. I also noticed it some when coming around semi trucks. It doesn't have any lift, has brand new 285 cooper tires and the steering is tight. If it is this bad with no trailer I am scared to see what it will be like with any of my trailers.I bought this as mainly a tow vehicle for my 10,000 lb camper, my 30 ft boat and my car hauler trailer and carry the family. It is definitely not safe the way it is, after traveling through the hills in North Carolina and Tennessee, the handling on this thing is now priority one, somebody help please! I know handling on these is a known issue, I just don't know how to correct it. If anyone can tell me how to fix it, with a parts list, it would be greatly appreciated. As far as the motor, wow!, it runs good.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
There is an Excursion expert on here who will chime in, but do a good search and it's all been covered here before.
The basics to be changed are:
Springs
Shocks
Rear sway bar
Wheels and tires
Air bags (for towing)

I did the above on mine and it handled much better and regularly tows a 32' toy hauler with no more problems

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't know if you need an Excursion expert. Excursions have the same suspension as the trucks, only with softer front springs.

I'm guessing your truck has shock issues and not much more. You might have some slop in the steering components as well. Probably not much more.

I'd ask this question in the suspension forum.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I left you a reply..on another forum..Excursion's are not pickups and need different mods than they do..we have been fixing the handling problems of Excursions for over 7 years..hundreds have done our mods, 100% happy owners.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I can list out the mods as has been done many times if needed but if you have gotten info from Cary (obswiz) then you have all the correct info. It will be night and day.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
....................... It is downright scary on the interstate. I just got back from a 1600 mile trip and my hands hurt from gripping the wheel so hard. Whenever I hit a bump it is like the truck gets squirly from side to side, it is almost feels like pulling a trailer with heavy tail weight, but it was. with no trailer. I also noticed it some when coming around semi trucks. It doesn't have any lift, has brand new 285 cooper tires and the steering is tight. If it is this bad with no trailer I am scared to see what it will be like with any of my trailers.I bought this as mainly a tow vehicle for my 10,000 lb camper, my 30 ft boat and my car hauler trailer and carry the family. It is definitely not safe the way it is, after traveling through the hills in North Carolina and Tennessee, the handling on this thing is now priority one................
I had a very similar experience with my Excursion when I bought it last February. Cary (OBSWIZ) set me up with everything I needed to get the suspension corrected to where it should be. I am very happy with this setup and love taking the Excursion on road trips now. I would do it again in a heartbeat - you will no longer need to have the death grip on the wheel with one of his setups.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I left you a reply..on another forum..Excursion's are not pickups and need different mods than they do..we have been fixing the handling problems of Excursions for over 7 years..hundreds have done our mods, 100% happy owners.
Can you pm me with exactly what I need to replace the front springs with? I don't want it lifted but I don't mind raising the front up enough to level the Ex front to back.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That is basically what you are going to be doing. What it comes down to is swapping the crapping X leaf springs packs for the ones on a 250/350 and then adding properly valved shocks which the X needs slightly different as it has different COG and weight distribution. Many X's did not come with rear sway bars which can be had for next to nothing from again the stock 250/350 one. Finally a slightly wider base and road contact patch footprint gets you the last bit of perf going from stock 31/10.5 /16 to something between a 18/9 to a 20/10 wheel with 33/12.5 tire. Even without the tire rim upgrade you will notice a tremendous change in handling but if you can swing the cost of new tire and rims maybe when the current ones are wore out it does add that final piece to the rest of the system.

Cary will get your the specific parts etc if he has not already then shoot him a PM on here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts