Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got BFGoodridge KM2's on the stock wheels and it wonders a bit on the road. How Can i fix that??

·
WHAT???
1,833 Posts
How new are the tires?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new tires are Great other then the wondering it went through 2 feet of pretty hard snow with ease GREAT offroad tire for the Money. and yes it started to wonder after the tires.

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
Your leaving out wayyyyyy too many details. What year is the Ex, what size are "stock" rims, are they stock size tires or 37s on stock rims? Did you check the track bar & all tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
This may help a bit at least with things to check.
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56563

Different tires have a habit of magnifing conditions. As was asked what are the actual specs of the tire and rims they are on. What are the specs on your X. Is it stock suspension or upgraded lifted etc? If you are putting 12.5 wide tires on stock rims while some do it they tend to make the truck squirmy compared to a 9-10" wider rim. So tires show this more than others.

When you say wandering are you constantly correcting and then having to correct the over correction?

How much can you turn the steering wheel before the tires move. Best if you jack up the front end and have another person watch. If you have over a max of 1" of steering wheel movement you need to adjust the lash on the steering gear box. This is one of those things bigger tires brings out. Its there but they make it more obvious.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your leaving out wayyyyyy too many details. What year is the Ex, what size are "stock" rims, are they stock size tires or 37s on stock rims? Did you check the track bar & all tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints?
It a 2000 Excursion 4x4 Diesel Limited 161,000 miles 100% stock Its got the stock aluminum wheels that i came with(the Nice ones). I think it has to do with how deep the tread it with a not so wide tire. Am i right?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It feels like there are crosswinds at low speeds it great when i go about 65+ it comes in.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
You can increase the caster. I have fought a few of these and that seems to help. Also check the steering box as said.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Take it to a front end shop. The caster should be 3.5 min. You can go a tad more. The only really down side is steer effort which is negligible for the little bit you will increase. The other thing is check toe. It shoudl be 0 but you could add a very small amount in and that will cause it to resist the pull to wander. h of these should be even on both sides. But stillfront check your steering play and the linkage. If the steering wheel is locked in place tight and with vehicles front wheels up off the ground. If you can move the wheels what ever amount is the play. It can be in you steering shaft, the part that goes thru the firewall. Apparently very easy to remove and check ( have not done this myself). I do beleive you are correct in its the lug pattern that is what has brought this up but that does not mean it should be that way. What are you running for air pressure? That can have a effect on this as well.Bot

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my psi is like 15 under the max

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Look up your tires specs for various axle weights and those of your X and fill them to the tire manf recommendations. The ones on the door jam as I understand it are for the OEM tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts