Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the "elephant hose" on our CCV outlet. It just runs to under the cab and vents.
In the last few ten thousand miles its gone from being able to smell the vapor to visibly seeing quite a bit of it and occasionally I'll get honked at at a stop light and told my trucks on fire from the smokey vapor coming up from under the cab.

Any thoughts what the hey is going on?

·
OEM Moderator
10,109 Posts
Motor getting worn out might be one of my thoughts.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>.<

I have a cheap Harbor Freight compression tester... Should work ja?
I assume its as simple as disable the IDM, run into the glow plug hole and crank. Can't see it being any more difficult than that...

Man I hope not lol... Already getting tough to convince my mom to let my dad and I do anything with this truck hahaha

·
OEM Moderator
10,109 Posts
It takes a special adapter for a powerstroke to test compression with a flex piece in there. A google search should find it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you have a good international dealer near by you can talk to the shop manager and more than likely they will let you barrow theres if you put money down on it or something of the sort incase you break it or dont bring it back

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps a stupid question....
But if you have a fitting that threads in and seats... Why would there be a need for a special fitting?

·
Registered
898 Posts
theres not enough clearence between the rocker arm to get the hose in

·
All done now
23,170 Posts
If you have that and a gauge big enough to read the pressures, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would one be able to make a 45 degree fitting to clear?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I vented my ccv about one month ago just to test and found the truck ran a little better with ccv connected back into inlet. I've been noticing a little smoke when i first start the truck under load so i vented CCV again and smoke stopped. I noticed alot of fog this time soo bad that i put it back into intake again. Wasn't like this before but i had fresh oil in it. I wonder if its moisture. I did the oil cap test and sits on VC just fine. When i crack the throttle with CCV connected i can actually feel a vaccum at the oil fill cap and the fog stops. My motor has 135K on it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I vented my ccv about one month ago just to test and found the truck ran a little better with ccv connected back into inlet. I've been noticing a little smoke when i first start the truck under load so i vented CCV again and smoke stopped. I noticed alot of fog this time soo bad that i put it back into intake again. Wasn't like this before but i had fresh oil in it. I wonder if its moisture. I did the oil cap test and sits on VC just fine. When i crack the throttle with CCV connected i can actually feel a vaccum at the oil fill cap and the fog stops. My motor has 135K on it.
I am making my own ccv vent as well. I would like to know about this as well.
Would adding an inline filter of some kind help with the excessive smoke. Or is this just a compression problem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And.... Can a fitting be made?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Being me, and hating waiting for a response...
I pulled the valve cover to refresh my memory as to where the glow plug rests.
Simple answer? No. Would need to be a skinny, long straight bit. Especially considering that a deep ten has a hard time clearing with the glow backed out.

Dangit.

·
OEM Moderator
10,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You can make an adapter out of a glow plug.

·
Registered
159 Posts
loosen the glowplug with socket then twist it off with a length of rubber hose

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That might just be handy to have right there. Might see if my Snap-On guy has one in his truck as well for a fair price. I think he drops by the shop on Thursdays.... If not I have his, the Mac, and the Matco tool guys numbers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.