Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got a free weekend and installed all the parts(250/80s, idm, push rods, chip all from swamps. modded s300 and mount kit from carson. 910's, arp studs, and 3 inch plenums.)

pulled the truck in friday at five and had the cab off in 1 hr 45 min.
(ignore the meat heads in the background)

plenums and base plate installed

up pipes (the LH bellows hits the the trans just slightly)

turbo on

injectors and valve train done

almost done

done

SO.....took it for a ride in the lowest setting. drove it pretty mellow for a while, noticed EGTs a little higher than expected around town 700* ish
then i layed into it a little(50% pedal) for about 3 seconds and blew the ypipe right off both plenums.:doh:
so limped back to the shop and found the brace for the pipe that i mis placed and put it in. I started it up and it reved to about 2100rpm and slowy settled down to normal. any ideas why??

took it out for round 2, gave it about 50% again while getting on the highway. on came the SES(overboost), by the time i looked over at the gauges(about 5-6seconds at 50%) the EGTs were at about 1300* :aiwebs_001:

so...
1-i have not left postion 1 on the chip.
2-it revs when started(did not do this on initial start up, only since the pipe blew off)
3-EGTs are threw the roof

opinions, ideas, suggestions areall welcome

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure...i resecured the ypipe.

how can i check?

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
700 around town doesn't sound too bad but i bet you still have air in your system.... what was you boost doing when you were seeing 1200 degrees?

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh it definatly still has some air in it, still has an extended crank.
can that cause the rev up when i start it? never had one do that before.

It goes to about 33-35 psi instantly at half throttle but then the SES light comes on for overboost ( i still need a boost fooler)
I have only given it a half thottle pull for about 5-6 seconds before i had to let out for the EGTs

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Interesting downpipe in the pictures

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Man, the next time I do this, the cab is going in the air.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
oh it definatly still has some air in it, still has an extended crank.
can that cause the rev up when i start it? never had one do that before.

It goes to about 33-35 psi instantly at half throttle but then the SES light comes on for overboost ( i still need a boost fooler)
I have only given it a half thottle pull for about 5-6 seconds before i had to let out for the EGTs
1600 degrees of EGT for 1/4mile is fine..... 1300 is child's play.

the rev up could be something with the tune it is in. Try a different file. The bad thing would be oil being injested in the intake tract causing the rev-up.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Matt,

But that was only half throttle for 5-6 seconds and that was only position 1 on the chip which should be default or one of the lowest setting. If position 1 is indeed the lowest setting I would think even at WOT you woudl not have high EGTs. Am I off on this or am missing something? Could it be something in the tuning that is off? Would that fit with the high idle rev at start up?

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting downpipe in the pictures
LOL yea that was from when i did the fuel system and couldnt fit the DP back up because of the rear feed on the head. no worries though the new DP fit fine with cab off, no clearancing required. Hope i never have to take it out though.

Matt,

But that was only half throttle for 5-6 seconds and that was only position 1 on the chip which should be default or one of the lowest setting. If position 1 is indeed the lowest setting I would think even at WOT you woudl not have high EGTs. Am I off on this or am missing something? Could it be something in the tuning that is off? Would that fit with the high idle rev at start up?
Exactly, 1 is the LOWEST settng. Oh and the rev at start up seems to have gone away along with the extended crank. must have been from air in the system

700 degrees cruising at what speeds?
about 30-40mph

·
Registered
547 Posts
FWIW, (dont take this as bashing, just personal experience) When I got my injectors and tunes from swamps, I noticed my egts were always higher then "my" normal. And mpg down. Im not sure what was going on, had a re-burn or two, and still same results (however most of the change was in the transmission). Back to my original tuner, and egts are back in check. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS BASHING.... just my findings.

Who tuned before for you? PM if you have to, so as not to cause a war.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Check your intake plentums... Bet yours are bent in... Been there done that...

Check out these, added them a few months ago, not only fixed my crushed plentums, but now I can TQ the hell out of them.

Riffraff Diesel: RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts™

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FWIW, (dont take this as bashing, just personal experience) When I got my injectors and tunes from swamps, I noticed my egts were always higher then "my" normal. And mpg down. Im not sure what was going on, had a re-burn or two, and still same results (however most of the change was in the transmission). Back to my original tuner, and egts are back in check. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS BASHING.... just my findings.

Who tuned before for you? PM if you have to, so as not to cause a war.
thanks for the input, so far these swamps tunes are the BEST ones i have ever had, and ive used a couple of "the best tuners" with bad results...no more on this topic.

Check your intake plentums... Bet yours are bent in... Been there done that...

Check out these, added them a few months ago, not only fixed my crushed plentums, but now I can TQ the hell out of them.

Riffraff Diesel: RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts™
by "bent in" do you mean around the necks where the boots connect? if so, they seemed ok when i resecured the y pipe last night...:confused:

for an update, i spoke with Carson today, and we are both leaning towards a boost leak. I need to do some testing, and if the turbo ends up being sized wrong he said he'll make it right. two thumbs up for Carson, GREAT guy to deal with!!!!:bowfast:

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the best way to test the plenums? am i going to have to pull the valve covers and take off the rockers for the intake valves so they are all closed?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I am having the exact same rev issue at startup. Unless it continues, I am going to assume it is from the cylinders being flooded with oil on the tear down. If it continues, then I will worry about it.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea my rev issue ceased, at the same time as the air finished bleeding out of the HPOS...could be related i dont know.

any one have suggestions on testing the plenums for leaks?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
When I first installed my sledgehammer, I had a fierce boost leak. After several attempts at fixing it by changing IC boots and clamps I figured it had to be the intake plenums. So one afternoon I pulled my intake Y off the plenums and stretch-fitted some aluminized exhaust tubing to fit the inside of the plenums and tack welded them in very carefully. I then put the intake Y and boots back on and used the t-bolt clamps rather than the regular "hose" clamps and my problem was 100% solved. To this day, no leaks, holds 48psi no problem. Before I fixed it it wouldn't make more than 31ish psi without leaking.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts