Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got rid of my 7.3 seen this beautiful 04 6.0 low miles one owner, clean carfax. ive read all the problems about these motors. what i wanna know is.. is this a problem with EVERY 6.0? can i expect all of the same? i guess i just need to be talked into it instead of talked out of it like most people try to do when i tell them i want a 6.0 i drive a 6.0 at work it has 28000 miles on it and never a problem. i gets driven hard too. i guess because its not mine and i wouldnt have to pay the repair bill. but it really does run great. i have a buddy with a 6.0 he has 180000 on it and has done not a thing to it but change oil and filters. he doesnt even wash it. and it runs like a top. and he prolly will never have a problem. but im one of those guys that buys something and ofcourse i can expect the worse. just my luck i guess. i dont know im just up in the air about it and looking for some feedback.. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you build a 6.0 the proper way it is reliable in every way, key is you have to do some building to get it to that spot, stock form is prone to a couple failures (call them design flaws) but they aren't major if you address them before they show up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is studding and deleting the only ''design flaws'' that need to be fixed. and im sure this has been asked a million times. but, why wasnt the head problem ever recalled on them?

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's not the head problem its the lack of # of head bolts and the less than adequate clamping pressure they provide in stock trim, especially bad when more fuel is added in any way, shape or form, which creates higher cylinder pressure which lifts the heads from the gaskets, and over time the gaskets blow and away your coolant goes, right out the tailpipe. As far a EGR it is a tempurature problem when exhaust gasses that are very hot pass by the coolant flowing through the cooler, super heating the cooland causing expansion and over time failure at the seams/welds in the stock cooler, also associated with programmers, chips, ect, ect. ect.

·
Young'n
1,564 Posts
I'm guessing the reason it wasn't a recall, is Cause ford didn't wanna pay to have every 6.0 to get the cab raised and fixed, and every single person would bring it in for it. And not all of them blow really.. I have a 7.3 but my next truck will be a 6.0, I work on them some and I actually like them a lot..

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
Its more of a maintenance issue. If the last guy never changed the oil at the proper intervals or used cheap oil. Never used good filters or never maintained the coolant system and beat on it. Its probably going to need work .

·
PSN Newb
45 Posts
at 98,000 miles stock egr went out, put on a bullet proof diesels egr delete and it works great. Also, BPD's oil bypass filter. Get sinister diesels coolant filter and headstuds and you should be good as long as you keep up on the maintanence.

·
Registered
281 Posts
my parents have a stock 6.0 03 with 138000 miles the only thing that has gone out is the oil cooler, but man does it run

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think in three years of reading about 6.0l's I have ever seen a stock motor blow gaskets. It's usually after a tuner has bought. Like I said above, I read and saved for 3 years for mine, and plan on keeping it till 400K. If you get a good deal on it go for it, there not as bad as you have heard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Guys, Mine was completely stock when the heads went. I love it so much I've done the head rebuild TWICE. I know what you mean that it's like a drug. This truck is one of the most impressive trucks when everything is working properly. The only thing I can add from my experience is, I would not recommend a "certain color" of head gaskets. I believe that's why I had the thrill of doing everything the second time. I'm currently at $9,000 keeping mine on the road. ALSO, don't forget about the FICM. That seems to be another problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i am gonna go for it. then just get the preventative maintenance done to it in the spring

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how are the 6.0's starting in the winter? my 7.3 i never even had to think about plugging it in. always started in the coldest wheather.

·
Registered
646 Posts
run 5w40 synthetic, plug it in and they run like a dream. Use 15w40 no plug in, colder than -20c and no start or really, really hard start. I rock the Chevron 5w40 syn, plug it in and -40c she fires right upo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was 25 the other morning, didn't plug it in, and it started after 4-5 seconds, but coughed a few times. I run T-6 syn. and have it plugged into a timer that comes on 2 hours before I leave. If it's plugged in, starts like it's summertime.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do the make any kind of on board power source that u can use when u dont have the luxury of pluggin it in. like when ur at work for 16 hours plowing snow and your truck is sitting unplugged in the parking lot.. if not, they should

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't gotten that far, but I was thinking the same thing now that winter is comming. I have a 3,000 watt pure sin wave inverter and deep cycle battery bank I use for camping and thought I would get another timer and keep all of it in the bed box. Set the timer for 3 hrs before shift end. I don't know what kind of draw the block heater has though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
brp nothing beats a well tuned 6.0 the egr and head studs like everyone says will go if u add power to it and u miight as well plan on a ficm but its not as expensive now as it was 4 years ago so that is a plus . Stay away from quadzilla chips . mine has lots of power but it builds to much pressure and tears apart everything else like icp and other weak links (radiator). i have 245000 miles on mine and still dont mind putting money in it when it needs it . I also have a 08 with sct and on the 160 tune it wont touch my 03 so go for it plenty of great people on here to help u with parts and ideas on repairs they are not as bad as other non owners make em out to be .

·
Registered
728 Posts
I gave the one in my avitar to my son about a year ago. First diesel I ever owned, only reason I bought it was my brother in law needed money and he had it since it was new. I immidiately put a cheap tuner on it and was addicted, the rest is history. I then did head studs, egr delete, and upgraded fuel system, SCT tuner. Then went with a nitrous system with a .88 jet (putting it around 600rwhp give or take for stock injectors) I did quite a few 4wd launches with nitrous. After that, upgraded turbo, and 190 injectors(and transmission lol). Then gave the truck to my 19 year old son. I was decently hard on the truck as you can expect with the history, but always kept it up the maintenance on it. As far as my son, you could imagine a 19 year old driving a +-580rwhp diesel. Yeah he drives it like he stole it. The reason for telling you this is, I haven't had any real problems with this motor. I did the head studs and delete prior to bumping the hp up a lot. Few minor issues, oil cooler as said. Other than that just run of the mill BS that was more my fault. The motor has 87k on it now and runs like a champ. Go for it man, do the head studs, egr delete, oil cooler and you will not regret it. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts