Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2002 f350 7.3 automatic with electronic shift on fly four wheel drive. i couldn't get the four wheel drive to engage. the indicator light doesn't come on regardless of esof switch position 2, 4hi, 4lo. after several attempts i parked it and was going to look at it later. the next day i fire it up and 4x4 hi light is now on all the time and i can't get it to go off regardless of switch position or unplugging all harnesses from shift motor. indicator lights for 4hi and 4lo come on for a second when key turned on. I checked relays they are both good checked with meter, manually actuated them and swapped with known good. all fuses are good. i read on a forum that if the shift actuator position plate switch reading doesn't correspond the gem won't shift either direction. is it possible that i have a defective position switch on the actuator or am i looking at a gem problem? i inspected what i believe to be the gem behind the glove box and there is no sign of water damage. btw the truck sat for 4 years with the transfer case in the bed exposed to the elements. any suggestions is appreciated as i don't like to throw parts out without a conclusive diagnosis. thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I removed the shift actuator and applied power and it moves fully in both directions. It also activates the 4x4 light and 4low light properly. Any suggestions on checking the gem module? Does it need programmed at dealer or can I juts throw a matching number one in and go?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts