Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an oil leak that has been going on for a WHILE...still gotta figure out where it is, presumably the HPOP lines or the pedestal. Anyways, i now have a metric crap ton of oil in the valley. The shop wants to do 3 separate steam cleans at $78 a pop, once to break it up, drive, clean again, drive, and clean a third time to find the leak. They'd have to keep my truck for a while and its my DD. So, with a new HPOP and lines coming in, i'll take a look at the pedestal and fix it all up.

The question is, with that much oil caked up in the valley, what is the proper/safe way to get that thing looking like new metal. Ive seen people with emasculate engines and theyve mentioned degreasing and blasting. Is there any compromise of getting media in any orifices? Any places i should seal off to keep from degreaser getting in places it shouldnt? If someone could walk me through the process, it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
castrol super clean and a pressure washer, rinse repeat.
you are going to have to remove a bunch of stuff to get it spotless.
fuel bowl, turbo etc.
there are a lot of orings that can leak up top, they are cheap to buy so if you are going to do it just do them all in viton while you are there. no point doing it twice

paying someone to do that will be $$ as its a PITA to clean years of neglect

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
For the bulk of it, I've used oil dry and shop rags.
Screw driver or scraper to knock the buildup loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
paying someone to do that will be $$ as its a PITA to clean years of neglect
ya, the wonders of buying used vehicles. $78 isnt really that bad for the cleaning, just doing 3 times though...

i appreciate the advice. i gotta put a RR and fuel system on the truck, so i'll buy some viton rings and get to it i guess, maybe i can get the 3 cleanings down to 1 or somethin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WalMart sells cans of super tech engine degreaser for like 2 bucks a can. I've used it to degrease tractor parts in prep for painting. It's not great stuff but its pretty darn good and its so cheap you could spray it on and spray it off and do it a few times until you get most of it off. Especially getting under the truck and spraying the engine. I'd recommend purple power but that stuff is so corrosive I just can't.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I've never had a problem using purple power.
You could also get a hold of the army's favorite cleaner, simple green. Lol

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I vote superclean, been using it for years! It works so well on many many things and its bio degradable, smells better then simple green IMO

I would water it down a bit for cleaning the engine bay but that's just me
Heck its still 10 degrees here we wont be doing any cleaning of anything yet.....

my engines valley is clean just from friggin chasing leaks and wiping it down. I finally got the rest of the gunk when I removed the fuel bowl, I just used screwdriver and rags

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've never had a problem using purple power.
You could also get a hold of the army's favorite cleaner, simple green. Lol

And a guy I used to work for wrecked a Merlin on landing from the owner of the plane using Purple Power the clean the airplane. It accumulated in the landing gear bay area and corroded the wires to the steering. Upon touchdown the wires shorted, the plane turned hard left and hit landing lights on BOTH sides of the runway after he lost control. Knarled both propellers.

I'll never touch the stuff.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
That's just poor maintenance and ignorance to inspect.
I don't fill a tank with it and let my truck soak.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Ah yes too much de greaser, it does not matter the brand, its the user.
We had some escalators at the LA convention center that were shocking people through the handrail. We were the consultants on the job hired to determine if why it was shocking people and if the escalator(s) needed repair/rebuild what. Before we left the job that day we were able to light a small light bulb with the electricity being generated by the handrails. Escalators have protections in place for this kind of thing, so this was very odd, this Mitsubishi escalator had all these anti static pieces already in place. We inspected every escalator at the center that day. It took us a while and we were quite shocked that these newer units were in such need of repair. The chains that drive the steps and handrails were DRY... this is not good. Long story short we found two things, first the escalators built by Mitsubishi were delivered to the jobsite early (they sat outside in the salt air for a couple of months, this did not help), second we found the cleaning crew had been using a POWER WASHER with DEGREASER at the top landing to spray down all the dirty steps after each convention. HOLY HECK!!!!!! So what happens to an escalator when you spray de greaser at the top landing once a week? well the degreaser removes all the lubrication from the drive and chains as it creeps down inside the entire unit... Our recommendation is that they shut down all of the units immediately for repair, replacement of the chains and bearings....as you can imagine since it was the LA convention center...they did no such thing and those suckers are still running today. Hopefully they stopped cleaning the steps this way.... as an elevator guy who has been around elevators and escalators my whole life, HOLD ONTO THE HANDRAILS just like in the picture on the warning plaques. Escalators are safe and they are great at moving people, but in the wrong hands, if a step gives way (4 little axles and 4 little bearings) then it is a meat grinder inside....so hold your kids hands and hold into the handrails. I personally take the stairs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's just poor maintenance and ignorance to inspect.
I don't fill a tank with it and let my truck soak.

It's not poor maintenance. No A&P mechanic can be expected to find corrosion down in the belly of the airplane where he isn't required to inspect with no reported anomalies from the pilot. Its not like he knew what was going on. I'm a licensed airplane mechanic. Finding corrosion on two small wires in an airplane with miles a wires is a needle in a haystack IF you have an idea where to look and know that there is an issue. If the pilot reports the plane is flying normally there is nothing to do other than the maintenance work listed in the MMM. (manufacturers maintenance manual.)

The cause of the accident was listed as using unapproved supplies to clean the airplane. Simple green makes an aviation approved cleaner. THAT you can use on airplanes, but Purple Power is strong stuff and highly corrosive. Use with caution and make sure you rinse that crap out thoroughly.

And no I did not do any maintenance to this aircraft. This happened years before I got my license.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Oh I wasn't saying it was on you.
Yeah, simple green is good. Bio-degradeable too, and hippy friendly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts