Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious where to get an engine stand and an engine hoist.

I plan on doing some work to my truck (hopefully soon) and would like to change to forged rods.

I don't know what weight specifications I will need for the stand and hoist. I live in Houston so there should be somewhere I can buy this stuff from.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
I went and raided Northern Tool when I did mine.Figured I wasnt going to make a career out of pulling motors, so I wasnt going to spend an arm and a leg on equipment. Think I got about 400 bucks in a hoist and a stand. Got an engine on each one of them right now . Havnt heard any loud crashing noises so I guess their holding up pretty good. Got a 2 ton hoist ans a 1200 lbs stand

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
A 2 ton hoist will be ok, as long as you keep the lifting arm short. I would get at least a 1500lb. engine stand, the motor partially dressed weighs close to 1100, and more fully dressed.

I wouldn't trust a less expensive engine stand at it's rated capacity, most people use those for 5-700lb. gas engines, that's what they're designed for. That's alot of weight that can fall on your leg or foot, or worse, your head.

Dave

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

Is there a step by step procedure for removing the engine?
Probably not, all you have to do is disconnect EVERYTHING remove engine mounts and unbolt transmission... but if there is I'd like toread over it.

Is there a step by step procedure for changing out the connecting rods torque specs ect...?
I have a Chilton book (I havn't looked to see if it had anything about this) is that what most people use?

Also, I have seen people reffer to the PSN "Library" is there a section of PSN that has a bunch of how to's and procedures for doing things?
All I do is click the search link and type in what I'm looking for. Sometimes I'm successful in finding things and sometimes not.

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts