Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I think I've seen a list collating engine serial numbers into build date years and I am having a brain fart and can't find it... and yes I did search for it....

Pretty sure my new to me '96 is a late build '95 as the body build date is 9 of 95 so that would make it just into the '96 "model" year. So i've pulled the serial number off the block at the oil filter head and it's 7.4JU2U220885. Can someone show me the link to aid in determining engine build date? There is a bunch of numbers on the front of the block but I can't make head nor tail of the bar codes letters and such. AND thinking now never though to look on the passenger VC would it be there?

Thanks in advance,

jrc

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
All the engine stickers ive seen that are still in tact are on the drivers side valve cover. They have a month,year, and serial number on em

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris,

jrc

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
All the engine stickers ive seen that are still in tact are on the drivers side valve cover. They have a month,year, and serial number on em
My 97 California had a sticker on the HPO reservior with the engine serial number and a bar code. No sticker with serial number or build date on valve cover.:confused:

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
My 97 California had a sticker on the HPO reservior with the engine serial number and a bar code. No sticker with serial number or build date on valve cover.:confused:
Weird. Not that ive been under the hood of many obs trucks, but im almost positive I remember seeing the sticker on the drivers side valve covers. I KNOW super duties had them, but over time, oil, fuel, power washing, and heat I guess kind of destroys those little stickers

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts

There under my I/c pipe is the only pic I have where you can see it, its the white rectangle under it. The top "layer" of the sticker had peeled away, which I atteibuted to me power washing my motor a few times a month to keep her squeaky clean

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts

This motor is in an obs, reason it has no sticker is years ago, our ford dealership had a bunch of original 7.3 complete factory motors laying around that my shop bought, and for whatever reason, they didnt get those stickers im talking about, but got that powerstroke sticker

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Weird. Not that ive been under the hood of many obs trucks, but im almost positive I remember seeing the sticker on the drivers side valve covers. I KNOW super duties had them, but over time, oil, fuel, power washing, and heat I guess kind of destroys those little stickers
Sticker was never there since new.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
ghohouston, you have to realize that there are quite a few differences between the OBS trucks and 99+ years of trucks and this is one of them.

I have had my truck since new and it never did have that sticker that you speak of.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
ghohouston, you have to realize that there are quite a few differences between the OBS trucks and 99+ years of trucks and this is one of them.

I have had my truck since new and it never did have that sticker that you speak of.
Okay guys I was wrong and i admit it, like i said, i havent been under the hood of that many obs trucks. I do understand the obs and sd motors are different in some aspects

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
So to make things even stranger, here's some pics I took of my buddies 97 today. Original engine, 150k ish miles, no hpop res sticker, but clearly has valve cover sticker.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The date on that sticker makes it a late build August 97 year engine. The late build trucks had some of the e-99 type stuff on them. Check the build date on the truck, its probably tail end production between Sept and Dec. 97. The last OBS diesels were built about mid-December 1997, the e-99 SD commenced production after that.

Oddities include the use of the small SD type engine cover, possibly also the update black intake hose instead of the orange hose to the turbo and the sale of the California splitshot engine in east coast trucks as the factory depleted OBS engine stocks and parts.

My 97 California and 97 Federal engines do not have that sticker, they have the one on the reservoir. thay are both early 97 year engine build dates.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sticker on the above driver's side VC looks like the sticker on the HPOP Reservoir on my trucks, 97 and 96 (late 95.5 year).

BTW that is a clean looking under hood does he even dry it?

jrc

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
The sticker on the above driver's side VC looks like the sticker on the HPOP Reservoir on my trucks, 97 and 96 (late 95.5 year).

BTW that is a clean looking under hood does he even dry it?

jrc
It is the same sticker. And yeah, he drives it daily, and even takes it mudding, just power washes the motor often

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
And my 97, build date on the door sticker of 4/97 has the sticker on hpop resovoir. Ill ask my buddy what the build date of his truck is

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the "switch" to the new model year is September No? My 96 door build date says 9/95 and was sold as a 96..... The engine serial is 0220885 which I think makes it a 95.5 nearest can figure. Still not sure if it has the anti drain on the HPOP and have not made time to check the PCM code. Based on calibration code on door (6-90A-R02) might be a NAW4 which is 95 factory tune I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts