Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 Diesel 4x4 ,4EOD trans, Upgraded Alternator, Western plow relay,
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all My Powerstroke Diesel Bros Ive been running 10w30 Amsoil in my diesel. I was thinking the oil change i do after this next one, I was going to switch from 10w30 to 5w30 or 5w40 or even go lower to 0w amsoil but i live in montana where temps rarely get above freezing in winter and about ( ive only been in MT for about 6months) 55 so far in summer which oil is good for both engine longevity and cold start ups. If i have to run two different oils one for summer and the other for winter i would not mind

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 Diesel 4x4 ,4EOD trans, Upgraded Alternator, Western plow relay,
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same scale in my Manuel i was trying to get a better more personal response as to what i should do vs a generalization that is why i was running 10w30 but i was wondering if there was a better viscosity i should be running as i am noticing a power drop as i drive up hills and they arent really big ones either cheers mate

·
Registered
722 Posts
As the chart shows, it's not a personal matter - it's a climate matter. That chart was created by Ford. Who would know better about what oil should go in a Ford engine?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the chart shows, it's not a personal matter - it's a climate matter. That chart was created by Ford. Who would know better about what oil should go in a Ford engine?
Well actually Ford did not make this 7.3 engine Navistar ( International Later) MADE this 7.3 There for what you just said the ford made is factually inaccurate. Again, i am running 10w30 oil already. how many times do i have to say it before you get it im asking what other people are running to get an idea ok not asking for a chart generalization so please read before making another post Cheer mate

·
Registered
722 Posts
I always read before posting, but it's not a requirement, and you don't get to decide who can post in this public forum. And my answer is the same - Ford didn't make MOST of the parts in our trucks, but we still refer to them as "Ford parts", so the same goes for the engine, regardless who built it for Ford.

Apparently, no one else wants to answer you, or they would have. My posts don't prevent other posts. If you don't like my posts, just ignore me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You took what I said out of context I'm not saying that you can't post here I know this is a public forum I'm just saying that I would love a better answer than go to a chart that I already have that is a generalization of what I'm supposed to be running I was asking specifics like the exact weights of oil people are using in their old Fords that is what my question was that was my original question

·
Registered
722 Posts
Whose answer do you think will be better than Ford's? And that chart is NOT "a generalization" - it's as specific as it can possibly be. What oil someone else uses somewhere else in some other engine in some other climate is entirely irrelevant to what YOU should use in YOUR truck's engine in the climate IT is operated in.

IDK why you want to make this harder than it needs to be. Either follow Ford's recommendation, OR DON'T. Which one do you think will make your truck run better for longer at a lower cost?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts