Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TURBO LIT 'N' THAT WAS IT
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jus recently bought a 2003 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke, and i was wondering how often you guyes change the oil, I have been changing it every 5 thousand miles, and what oil do u recommend im using Rotellla T 15w 40 and adding 1 qt. of oil stalizer

·
brandon
778 Posts
I am using Valvoline Extreme blue and change it around 4500-5000. When i was using motorcraft dino oil i was changing it every 3000. Shaeffers is a good oil and next change i am going to switch to it. UOA is helpful in choosing your change intervals.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
powerstrokin: 5K mile OCI is a good & safe place to start. Do u live in a cold region? Or do you live in a Vacation Paradise? Are u going to be using your PSD to tow? Some-Alot? Is your PSD going to be parked outside in a cold or parked in a nice cozy garage?

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
7.3's like rotella and as far as your intervals go depends were you live and what your doin with the truck most places you should be fine changing every 5k

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I change mine every 4k-5k and i use the Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 and my truck idles and runs quiter than with any other oil i have used.. use the synthetic Valvoline during the winter...

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Here is what I know, via many UOA and Reading many many Diesel Forums.

The 7.3L and 6.0L all seem to like or prefer a lighter grade of oil. Via these very expensive injectors.
These very expensive injectors over time, shear the oil down to a 30wt... it never seems to shear below that. This is the reason many owners have switched to a 10W-30 or 5W-30 HDD... With great UOA results. Now.. I myself Prefer a 5W-40 synthetic, since I pull a 32ft 9Klb 5th wheel most of the summer, I really don't feel to fuzzy inside pouring in a 10W-30 or 5W-30.
Also my 7.3L starts so much easier and faster with the 5W-40 then the 15W-40. The throttle response has also improved. I'm very happy with my choice. I will continue using 5W-40 yr round. I have plans on adding a single stage oil by-pass system.... so I can hopefully extend my OCI to 10K miles. This 5W-40 synthetic is not cheap. Once the by-pass is installed I will either switch to Schaeffers or Blue Diamond 5W-40.

Every diesel Truck owner will have a different story-different results. Any HDD oil will do the job with a good filter. I just prefer a lighter grade oil, in the colder climates... If your truck is garage kept and never really is parked in the cold... I would stay with 15W-40... Just keep it clean.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I Have been running rotella 5w -40 in my truch since 5,000 miles. Rotella changed the bottles/label like 4 times since then. I just went to get some and found a that the label/bottle was changed again. The new label says T6 full synthetic. Is this oil still good to run in these diesel trucks? Can anyone explain T6?

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
From what I have heard and read: It's still a very good so called synthetic HDD oil... They have tweeked the additive package a bit. Made the oil a bit more shear stable. Use it with full confidence.

U can kinda keep track of the UOA and Virgin OA @ Welcome

·
Registered
73 Posts
without a doubt I will use with confidence!! I was just wondering why they keep changing the label. Maybe to be suitable with the newer vehicles!?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use Shaeffers 9000 series oil. After i changed noticed a difference in cold starts, idle quality and throttle response. Its synthetic and runs bout $100 for a oil change. expensive, but a fords worth it.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
powerstrokin: 5K mile OCI is a good & safe place to start. Do u live in a cold region? Or do you live in a Vacation Paradise? Are u going to be using your PSD to tow? Some-Alot? Is your PSD going to be parked outside in a cold or parked in a nice cozy garage?

X2............ :whs:

Also, don't need the oil stabilizer, if it is Lucas it can tend to foam in the Powerstroke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts