Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has 80K miles, 6 inch lift, 37's, dpf delete, afe air filter, 4" turbo-back, i run a 300 HD tune on my h&s daily... that being said...

OOOOk... so Recently i've been dealing with a very leaky upper radiator hose... I mean for a couple months now it has been leaking bad, leaving my degas bottle pretty low..... puddles everywhere.

Ambient afternoon temps are about 70 deg f right now in Vegas.

Now despite the leak, my coolant temps have stayed pretty rock-solid between 188 and 194 deg f.....

The big fluctuation I have noticed has been the engine oil temps....
Before the leak, during this time of year, my truck's oil temps would be a rock-solid 199....
With the coolant leak the oil temps have climbed as high as 218 deg f....

It seems to get hot on the freeway.... i drive it 65 mph... in a matter of 10 miles it will hit 215-218... not nearly as bad on surface streets. maybe 207 tops.

So I finally got the nerve to fix the damn leak... swapped out the upper radiator hose this evening and took it for a spin.... It was a bit brisk tonight (maybe low 50's) so I took it on a 10 mile trip down the freeway in tow/haul mode.... ran it up to 85 mph, avgd about 70 mph.... it hit about 205 deg f on the oil temps.... then it cooled off at the traffic lights... was really hoping to see that 199 mark again.... but it seems like it wanted to run around 203 avg.

Going to change out the coolant cap tomorrow.... see if that helps.

Can a leak that I described cause such a difference in oil temp, or do I have some other issue(s)? Can't wait to see what happens when ambient temps are back in the 70's tomorrow.... hope I fixed it....:postwhore2::postwhore2::postwhore2::postwhore2:

Oil cooler issues?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Did you just do hoses or did you swap the radiator? Did you flush the coolant system?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just changed my oil cooler. I was getting a lot higher oil cooler numbers. Now on interstate oil temps about 201 coolant 196. Around town oil 199 coolant 194. I think my numbers run little high, but I was told they run little higher after egr delete. Anyways I tink your oil cooler may be plugged

·
Registered
955 Posts
I just changed my oil cooler. I was getting a lot higher oil cooler numbers. Now on interstate oil temps about 201 coolant 196. Around town oil 199 coolant 194. I think my numbers run little high, but I was told they run little higher after egr delete. Anyways I tink your oil cooler may be plugged
I agree the oil cooler is likely at least partially plugged. That is why I asked about flushing the system...sometimes flushing will free up some of the cast sand in the oil cooler and allow it to operate closer to normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that before I had my hoses changed my truck would leak & leave puddles everywhere like you said your was, but my #'s stayed the same as they always did & were within 2-4 degrees of each other & never got above 200

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VERIFIED: EOT is still climbing on the freeway.... 188* ECT & 213* EOT today in 61* weather.... Not looking good.

Never flushed.... from what I'm reading, flushing can further the issue, releasing more debris to clog the oil cooled.

Also read about a reverse blow out procedure that involves removal of the egr and lower rad hose...

Anyone familiar?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time on a flush or such. Just put in a new oil cooler and be done. Just be ready to get your wallet out because that it going to cost some serious Benjamin's

·
08 6.4
261 Posts
Is check stats first, then make sure there is no air in system, if no help then go with a new oil cooler. Might be a lil optimistic, but hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

1 - 8 of 8 Posts