Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 F-350 7.3
When I start my pickup the EOT reads 255* F on my Edge Digital Readout
I believe this is not letting the pickup go through its normal high idle and warmup process. I have changed the EOT sensor at the back of the HPOP and that did not fix the issue. What would be my next go to for the troubleshooting here ? I appreciate any advice on this. Also if there is already a thread out there for this please send the link.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to PSN. Wiring is your next step. Need to find a diagram and test the wires from the sensor back to the PCM connector.

Cj

Reactions: KLIFFBAR77!

·
Registered
343 Posts
First I would verify that the Edge is actually telling the truth. Can you hook up another scanner , or Torque Pro, ForScan etc.? How cold is it where you are? My 2002 does not go into high idle until it is pretty cold, like in the low 30s and it will not do it if the parking brake is not engaged. Also, the parking brake indicator lamp has to be working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigb thanks for this info. I live in a cold place. Here is my update to this issue. I have changed out my EOT sensor as well as the pigtail on the truck side because it had bare wires. I changed out my IPR valve as well as that pigtail on the truck side because it had bare wires. I have also changed out my coolant temp sensor because it is the exact same sensor as the EOT one. I have changed out my fuel filter bowl heating element as well as the filter. When I got my pickup running the EOT is still showing 170* at start then warms up to 255. When i have the pickup at idle in park or neutral it surges pretty fast pace. When i shift into drive or reverse it goes to normal and drives fine. Could this be from the ICP (injector control pressure) ? Any help would be appreciated. I did unplug my Edge digital gauge readout and plug it back into the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Could you try a separate gauge? I run an Autometer electric gauge, the sensor is in the fill hole of the HPOP reservoir. At start up it is cold, and in the winter months, it struggles to get above 165. Maybe 180 if I am on the highway for a good long run at higher RPM.

255 is way too high for the 7.3 anyway. Did it ever read more normal temperatures? I was told by my tuner that 220 should be the max oil temp.

My truck will go into high idle in the winter months and the parking brake does not need to be on. Maybe its a change between years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, my pickup used to read normal EOT. When this all started happening i noticed my EOT was pegged at 255 at startup. So I replaced the EOT sensor and that brought it down to more 125 at startup then it would heat up to 255. So when this was happening the pickup wouldnt go into the high idle like it always has before as well as the wastegate used to close until the pickup was up to temp. So I wondered if the Brain was thinking the oil was warm and didnt need to go through warmup procedure. Anyway it is still doing that and now the truck lopes pretty bad when in park or neutral. Drives great and runs smooth down the road but it lopes now also. I dont know why the loping has to do anything with the EOT?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The 7.3 adjusts its timing and fuel parameters based off oil temperature. So yes, when the oil is cold, idle will increase and the EBPV will close. I would think that if the computer reads higher than 180 degrees, it thinks the truck is at full operating temperature and gives the engine full timing. (This is what I was told from Jody at DP Tuner).

I drove my truck to work today, about 55 miles, mostly highway. My AutoMeter oil temp gauge starts at 100, and after idling for 20 minutes, it still was below that. After about 5 minutes of driving it started to read above 100. Even after 20 to 30 minutes driving at 80 mph, turning over 2000 rpm, the oil temp only got to about 150 to 165 depending on traffic. The ambient temperature was about 20 deg. F this morning. My point being, that the truck never fully warmed up and wouldnt give the truck full timing advance.

My guess is, since the computer is getting false readings, it is not calculating your engine parameters correctly, and that is causing the lope and lack of high idle and EBV. From what I have been told the 7.3 does EVERYTHING based off oil temp and it is very important. Hopefully you get it figured out soon.

Good luck

Just an afterthought... if these sensors work on resistance, and I imagine they do, the sensor might be working correctly, but somewhere in the wiring there could be an issue. You said the pigtails were showing bare wires, maybe that is the case further down the line. I know chasing an issue like that is an absolute nightmare, but it sounds like the temperature moves up and down as it should, it's just starting 150 degrees too high for some reason. You might need to get a wiring schematic and check resistance from the sensor pigtail to the main harness connector pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Goneracin this is GREAT information. Thank you very much. I will continue chasing wiring and now that all of the side affects are making sense now i can focus my time to that. I will update information as I find more. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts